Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 13,413.60 before taxes

13,413.60 before taxes

This Airman’s response to the Washington Times should be printed in all newspapers across America. Especially now when the President is calling up more Reserves and National Guardsmen. Get this response out to everyone you know. It’s time the Jane Fonda’s &Sean Penn’s of this country wise up and support the troops that defend them.

Military pay article
    On 12 Nov, Ms Cindy Williams (from Laverne and Shirley TV show) wrote a piece for the Washington Times, denouncing the pay raise(s) coming servicemembers’ way this year—citing that the stated 13% wage was more than they deserve.
    A young airman from Hill AFB responds to her article below. He ought to get a bonus for this!
    “Ms Williams:
    I just had the pleasure of reading your column, “Our GIs earn enough” and I am a bit confused. Frankly, I’m wondering where this vaunted overpayment is going, because as far as I can tell, it disappears every month between DFAS (The Defense Finance and Accounting Service) and my bank account. Checking my latest earnings statement I see that I make $1,117.80 before taxes. After taxes, I take home $874.20. When I run that through the calculator, I come up with an annual salary of $13,413.60 before taxes, and $10,490.40 after.
    I work in the Air Force Network Control Center where I am part of the team responsible for a 5,000-host computer network. I am involved with infrastructure segments, specifically with Cisco Systems equipment. A quick check under jobs for Network Technicians in the Washington, D.C. area reveals a position in my career field, requiring three years experience with my job. Amazingly, this job does NOT pay $13,413.60 a year. No, this job is being offered at $70,000 to $80,000 per annum. I’m sure you can draw the obvious conclusions.

Given the tenor of your column, I would assume that you have NEVER had the pleasure of serving your country in her armed forces. Before you take it upon yourself to once more castigate congressional and DOD leadership for attempting to get the families in the military’s lowest pay brackets off of WIC, and food stamps, I suggest that you join a group of deploying soldiers headed for AFGHANISTAN, I leave the choice of service branch up to you. Whatever choice you make, though, opt for the SIX month rotation: it will guarantee you the longest possible time away from your family and friends, thus giving you full “deployment experience.”
    As your group prepares to board the plane, make sure to note the spouses and children who are saying good-bye to their loved ones. Also take care to note that several families are still unsure of how they’ll be able to make ends meet while the primary breadwinner is gone—obviously they’ve been squandering the “vast” piles of cash the government has been giving them.
    Try to deploy over a major holiday; Christmas and Thanksgiving are perennial favorites.
    And when you’re actually over there, sitting in a foxhole, shivering against the cold desert night; and the flight sergeant tells you that there aren’t enough people on shift to relieve you for chow, remember this: trade whatever MRE (meal-ready-to-eat) you manage to get for the tuna noodle casserole or cheese tortellini, and add Tabasco to everything. This gives some flavor.
    Talk to your loved ones as often as you are permitted; it won’t nearly be long enough or often enough, but take what you can get and be thankful for it. You may have picked up on the fact that I disagree with most of the points you present in your op-ed piece.
    But, tomorrow from KABUL, I will defend to the death your right to say it.
    You see, I am an American fighting man, a guarantor of your First Amendment rights and every other right you cherish. On a daily basis, my brother and sister soldiers worldwide ensure that you and people like you can thumb your collective nose at us, all on a salary that is nothing short of pitiful and under conditions that would make most people cringe.
    We hemorrhage our best and brightest into the private sector because we can’t offer the stability and pay of civilian companies. And you, Ms Williams, have the gall to say that we make more than we deserve?
    Rubbish!

-----------------------------------------------------

I'll save all the people who want to say,"no one told them to join"
    the breath......

They do it because they have something that some of us don't, a sense of pride and wanting to give back to the country.

this country was built on the bones and blood of these kids.....
    we owe them a little bit of respect.

Well said!!! I read it to Mike and he laughed hysterically when I read the part about the Tabasco. He also agreed with everything the kid said in his letter. He writes very well and puts those bleeding heart liberals right where they belong. You know, Mike tells me I'M bleeding heart, but I don't think so....at least I hope not if those people are the in that camp!

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

thanks mike, for the time you put in for us sods that are too old to go........btw, do you still use tabasco????

one feel good story from last year was PAT TILLMAN/ARIZONA
    CARDINALS......

useful hardware

and you thought that the bars next to the toilet bowl
    were for the handicapped..........

.8 ounces....let's see....that's ah............
    um................way too much!!!!!!

what was the first place prize?

3.6 mil divided by 18,000

FORT BENNING, Ga. -- Former NFL player Pat Tillman is used to pushing his body to the limit with grueling training in the summer heat. This summer, though, he will be sweating it out as an Army recruit.

Pat Tillman played four seasons with the Arizona Cardinals.

Tillman, the 25-year-old starting safety for the Arizona Cardinals, turned down a $3.6 million contract for $18,000 a year and an uncertain quest to become an Army Ranger.

Tillman, who has rejected all interview requests to talk about his decision, began basic training Monday at this base in southwest Georgia, joining his younger brother, who enlisted with him.

"In Pat Tillman's view of the world, football is a part of it, but there are a lot of other things that are important to him," said Lyle Setencich, Tillman's linebacker coach at Arizona State.

Money doesn't seem to be important to him at all. Last year, he turned down a $9 million, five-year offer from the Super Bowl champion St. Louis Rams so he could stay with the perennial losing Cardinals for less money. This year, he turned down the Cardinals three-year, $3.6 million contract to join the Army.

"He said there were personal reasons he didn't want to divulge to me, and I didn't press him on it," Cardinals coach Dave McGinnis said. "I respect his decision. I think it's honorable."

Observers questioned his sanity, but that's nothing new for Tillman, who used to meditate atop a 200-foot light tower above Arizona State's stadium.

"If you don't know Pat, then you would think he's crazy," said Phil Snow, who coached Tillman as Arizona State's defensive coordinator. "The planes flew so close to him that he could damn near reach out and touch them. He's just fearless."

I really liked the letter--they do deserve more. Maybe all of those Hollywood celebs--or has beens, like Ms. Williams--could chip in some of their millions to help feed our brave men and women--as well as their families.
    Mike--that is a LOT of tabasco!!! WOW!!! Thank you for serving our country.

by the way, was she Laverne or Shirley?
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Originally posted by lovemyshiba

by the way, was she Laverne or Shirley?
    she was shirley, not too bright, kinda dumb, you felt sorry for her
    because she couldn't carry a thought in a basket------HEY, art imitates life!!

Mugsy, what on earth did that have to do with "bleeding heart liberals". You have a lot of rhetoric, but little information.

That doesn't even deserve a response. You seem to always be in search of an argument and I'm not in the mood to play the game tonight. You know exactly what I mean, and you always have to be so superior, and so all knowing, so, tonight, I'll just let you.

I think that Pat Tillman is awesome!!! How dedicated is he to his country. Cudos to him. Not many people (in fact I don't know anyone) would do what he's doing. I guess there was another football player berating him on the Jim Rome show and he got nailed for being so stupid. It was a breath of fresh air to hear the people of this country rally around the people who are willing to put their lives on the line so that we can sit here and post on Pet Talk.

I'm in New Zealand, and I don't think that US soldiers are defending my right to sit in NZ and type on Pet Talk. I think they have more pressing matters.

You are such a knee-jerk conservative it's amazing. I do not know of any "bleeding heart liberal" who disagrees with paying soldiers more. They disagree with massive defense budgets that go to big toys, not to paying out their deserving workers. If liberal are for ANYTHING they are for workers' rights. Regardless of if they're soldiers, janitors, etc.

You've got convictions all you need is information.

DO NOT CONDESCEND TO ME! You are way too arrogant for yourself. Liz is right, it seems all you want to do on Pet Talk is stir arguments and anger people by talking down to them in your oh so superior tone.

Or, perhaps you can't stand me because I call you out on all of your assumptions. Particularly since you claim you love debate so much, yet shirk from nearly every point I make. Guess it's not as easy when it's not with children.

You sure do like to use the phrase with me. I do like to debate, with people who use a credible line of defense and don't rely on rhetoric to back their stuff up and use personal attacks when they're backed into a corner and won't address the issue at hand (which in this case is the fact that our service people are grossly underpaid for putting their lives on the line so people like you can protest anything and everything that strikes your fancy).

Hey Richard, your description of Cindy Williams somehow reminds me of the Don Henley line...."the bubbleheaded bleach blonde comes on at five, tells you about the plane crash with a gleam? in her eye." I think that would describe most of Hollywood however.

Hello!
    I hate to be the one to point this out, but this letter was NOT written by Cindy Williams of Laverne and Shirley, rather it was written by Cindy Williams of Massachusetts Institute of Technology .
    Please see http://www.snopes.com/military/gipay.htm for further clarification.
    We all have to be so careful with the internet, it is really easy to read something and automatically assume it is true just because it is written somewhere on the internet. I read an interview with Cindy Williams of Laverne and Shirley, and she is apparantly very upset that people are attributing this to her.

Thanks for the clarification, you're right, you do need to be careful.