Thread: Smokey gets sick if not fed early enough...

Smokey gets sick if not fed early enough...

Is this normal?
    In the mornings, if I don't get up to feed Smokey right away and "ignore" him to get more sleep he gets sick. It usually just looks like brown-ish bile but yesterday it almost looked like there was blood in it.
    I know it's bad of me to ignore him but he usually falls back to sleep w/ me - but then I wake up to him licking his mouth a lot and then wretching, almost like a dry heave.
    And this only happens if I don't feed him before like 8am. Is that normal?
    I've been trying to be good and get up right away and feed him but it still happens occasionally. And I just give him food, he eats it and then he is fine.

Anyone?

I've read on other sites about this happening a lot. So I don't think it is unusual. If you're not feeding him twice per day, you might also want to try that, just split the amount you would give him one time a day into two separate feedings.

Hugs to Smokey!! Hope you guys are staying warm!!

Keegan sometimes does the same thing. I think it is b/c they get an upset stomach from it being so empty. Like Logan said, if you don't feed him twice a day, try that.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

That's interesting.
    Abbey gets carsick, so when we had to go somewhere, we didn't feed her breakfast, and she just threw up this yellowish liquid stuff. When we feed her, she may throw up, but it's her food (not anything to worry about), and it's only one time. She doesn't get as sick as long as theres some food in her.

I can understand you not wanting to get up sometimes. I started from day one not giving mine breakfast until around 10--sometimes they want it earlier, but hopefully they won't get sick.

I hope Smokey feels better!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

OUr Cincy needs to loose weight, so I switched both girls food to Low Cal...then sadie started getting sick...always very earlier in the morning. After two days of that I switched her back to Active adult, left Cincy on thelow cal, and they are both doing fine

OK, I'm glad this isn't uncommon!
    I do feed him twice a day but maybe I need to feed his second meal a little later... and possibly give him a small meal in between. I think he's lost a a pound or 2 since we've been here. Probably because it's so cold and he's playing outside a lot more thus burning more energy. So I probably should feed him a little more anyway.

Thanks for the replies.

This idea just came to me--our dogs sometimes are waking us up for food too, and some days it's just so hard to get up!! (like today, because it's freeeeeeeeezing again)
    You could buy something like this
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...12&pCatId=8099

automatic feeder--you program it, then Smokey won't wake you up or get sick!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

I think I like the idea of the automatic pet feeder! I am usually up with the birds though so feeding them early is usually not a problem for me. Sometimes I wish it was easy to roll over and go back to sleep! My guys would probably let me too!

And mine would LOVE an automatic feeder if I would let them have one!! LOL!!! The cats have automatic feeders because they don't over indulge.....Lilly and Murphy would gorge with free feeding, so I can't do it. Honey would do perfectly. Maybe Smokey would do fine too, especially if he doesn't have a weight issue.

He would probably love this but unfortunately my bank account would beg to differ. I'll just bear the cold and earliness for now. But I will keep this in mind. Thanks.