Thread: Budgie Question

Budgie Question

Hi, everyone was so helpful before that I figured why not ask some more questions. I am new to the world of budgies and love my new friends, but I was wondering about the spray millet and other things I hang in there. I have two seperate cages with two birds in each my sons birds seem to love the spray millet, they really eat, then there is my daughter two who didn't touch the spray millet so I bought them another kind of stick with berries and still they don't seem to eat like the others do. I see that they are eating the bird food because i can see the little pieces they ate back in there dish. I just want to make sure they are getting all that they can especially any special treats. They still seem to be afraid of us, I try to just stick my hand in the cage and they kind of hover together,hopefully that will go away.They seem to be chirpping real good which in the beginning they weren't doing. I hope these are good things any help would be welcome, thanks from someone who wants to make them comfy and cosey.
    Katie

even though i've had my two budgies for 2 years, i am no expert on them. but i guess i can relate. sky (female) is not much of an eater. she usually eats form her dish and that's all. rocket (male) eats anything you give him and he still doesn't get any taller!

when i first got my birds, they were shy and stayed to the back of the cage. i wish we could clip their wings and let them out but my mom doesn't agree so we never did. if you want them to feel more social, i think this is the best thing to do. a way i got rocket to feel more comfortable around us is that we would make him stay on our finger for a good amount of time and then pet them. it seemed to have worked. sky doesn't wanna know anything about that though. oh well.

popcornbird and other bird owners have much better information so all i'll say now is good luck and hope to see pics soon!

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

Its strange that a bird would not eat millet because that's the treat I used when training my birds! Maybe cockatiels and budgies have different choices, but from my knowledge, I think budgies are supposed to love millet too! Maybe they just aren't used to it. Besides seeds and seed treats, your birds need to eat veggies, whole grain bread, and other foods for good health. It will be best to introduce your birds to veggies once they are tame, because it is easier to teach them when they gain trust in you. I hope your birds will soon get used to the millet and treats and start munching. I would recommend buying your birds cuttlebone and vitamin bars from the pet store. They will need that for calcium and vitamin supplement, that they won't get enough from seeds. Good luck!

oh yeah, the cuttlebone! hehe spray millet is adored from my birds. especially rocket. sky won't eat it as much though. i also saw on TV that millet are loved by all birds (parakeets and cockatiels alike) so i guess they both like it

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

Thanks

Thanks you for your help, I have been reading about the vegetables I need to go back and make a list of what they can have, do you put them in something specail or how do I give it to them. I don't mean to sound stupid here I just want to make sure I do what I am supposed to. I do have the cuttlebone in there and they don't seem to touch that at all either. I'll keep trying with the treats. I didn't know about the vitamin bars.
    Katie

my tiki's favorite thing is grapes and corn.

Tiki was already pretty well socialized because she came from a special bird place.... but to get her used to US i just stood by her cage and talked to her for a while. when i used the high pitched tone she came over and was well willing and interested to come up on me and play.