Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scout just had a seizure...

Scout just had a seizure...

My kitty, Scout, just had a seizure. He was sleeping on top of his cat tree when he fell off. He fell about 3 feet. I don't know if the fall caused him to seize or he seized and then fell. He seized for about 45 seconds to a minute....foaming at the mouth. He's had all his shots, tested FeLv and FIV negative. He's about 8 or 9 months old. He seems fine now. A little freaked, tail all frizzed. But he's walking around without bumping into anything and now is sitting cleaning himself. Please, Anyone have any experience with this?

Tiff and the ever expanding krewe
    Scout, Gigi, & Bixby -the kitties
    Rory, Lola, Jax, Max, & Lulu -the ferrets

I posted this while on interminable hold for the emergancy vet on call. The vet said to watch him the rest of the weekend. She said that as long as nothing else happens and he seems fine, just call on Monday and bring him in so they can run some tests to pin point what caused it. But, if it happens again call her and bring him in. She said it unusual for cats to have a grande mal seizure, but as long as he's eating normal and his activity doesn't change he should be fine and bring him in Monday.

I'm still a little shaken. That so freaked me out. And he's walking around now like nothing happenned.

Tiff and the ever expanding krewe
    Scout, Gigi, & Bixby -the kitties
    Rory, Lola, Jax, Max, & Lulu -the ferrets

I would definately have him checked out by the vet as soon as possible. I know it is a horrible thing to watch. Hopefully that will be his only seizure, but if he continues to seize, then it can be controlled with medication.
    good luck and keep us posted.
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

I am sorry that I can't be of any help. I just want to say "my poor little Scout!!! I hope you are OK!" Keep us posted, as I'll be thinking and praying for you both.

That must be so scary for you. I'm afraid that I don't have any advice regarding Scout or other cats - but on a personal note, I was diagnosed with Epilepsy over 20 years ago, and thanks to my medications, I've been seizure free ever since then.

Keep him monitored by a good vet and good luck. We care.

Tiff,
    I am so sorry I have nothing to tell you! I guess you are certain it was a seizure? I feel so lost!! If the vet said what they said, about watching him...they must know!! So, relax as much as you can! With your other guys just coming back from Sir Jury...I am sooo sorry for the trauma I know you are going through. Maybe he hit his head when he fell? Good luck, and please keep us posted.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}
    Johanna

Unfortunatly I know nothing about cats, but I will be thinking of your poor Scout this weekend. Please let us know how he is doing!

kitty seizure

Gosh, I'm so sorry to hear about your kitties' seizure! My kitty, Elvis has had seizures for about 5 years now. His first one was very catastrophic, but we can now control them with Phenobarb. We don't know what causes them, but he hasn't had a seizure in over 2 years! One of the tricks I learned was to watch for a couple of signs and sometimes I could keep him from going into one. Here are a couple of things to look for:

1. Head shy.....like he's afraid of your hand.
    2. Light sensitivity.
    3. Won't eat.
    4. Generally acting weird.

If I noticed any of these things, I would put him in a quiet, dark room and sometimes he would come out of it. Sometimes, he'd have to get some medicine.

Please let us know what your vet says.
    ~Kat

Poor little Scout. What a dreadful fright for you all I hope he's fine until the vet check, fingers and whiskers crossed here that everything is OK.
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

I have epilepsy too - of the abscence variety though - i *phase* out but I haven't had a seizure. Medication controls it very well and haven't had a seizure in months now. I would take kitty to the vet and get them to check it out. Very scary though!
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

Tiff,

We have friends who had a dog with epilepsy and they gave him St. John's Wort and it seemed to help. They didn't want to mess with Pheno Barb because of the liver damage it causes.

When Jessie had what we thought was a seizure, I was like you and immediately got on the phone with the vet and he said to post on a calendar time and length of seizure and keep track. I guess there really isn't a lot they can do, but track and then test. God luck and let us know.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Prayers and get well wishes to you dear Scout....and your Mommie too.

Poor Scout .... I hope he will get better really soon !
    this wishes come especially from my birthday-girl Maya !

Internet searches

Poor little Scout. I know that everything with a brain has the potential to have a seizure. I had them when I was a teenager, took meds for years and then out grew? the seizures later in life.

I have a friend who's doggie started having seizures and she ended up having to give meds. each day. It worked and controlled them.

Seizures can be caused by different things, so a vet checkup might be something you want to do asap. It may get expensive trying to eliminate the cause. I do know that rest, balanced dieted, light sensitivty (flashing.....yikes...bad...) can be important. My guess is that your cat does not go to disco parties, but even flashes from cameras can trigger seizures if they are related to the brain function...

I would go on line and do some searches via google.com on seizures and cats.

Keep us posted. I hope little Scout never has another one...and that is possible. Sometimes babies have seizures for a week or so and then never again.

Good luck. Hugs to Scout and MOM!
    Last edited by sasvermont; 02-02-2003 at 09:24 AM.

My CH cat Diva used to go upstairs, and when she tried to climb down fell to the bottom and had a seizure. She is not allowed up the stairs by herself anymore. At first blush I'd guess that Scout's seizure was caused by a knock on the head. But keep an eye out. The vet told me to do the same with Diva. She has not had one since she doesn't climb the stairs anymore.

Good luck!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb