Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Horse Trivia

Vermontcat,

Very good with the Crabbet Arabian. I love that and the Egyptian sources. Course I am an Arab fanatic, been around them nearly all my life.

BUT, you didn't get the Quarter Horse or the body part question right. Any other guesses?

BTW this is my 75% Crabbet gelding Parazon:

Job 12:7-10 : But ask the animals and they will teach you, or the birds of the air, and they will tell you; or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish of the sea inform you, which of all these does not know, that the hand of the Lord has done this? In His hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind. (NIV)

hmm, I guess I need to do some more research, maybe someone else wants to guess.
    I will try one more guess on the body part question, is it the legs? Foals always have long legs.

I love the photos of your horse, he is beautiful.
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy

Very close on the body part answer. It is a particular part of the leg.

Thank you for the compliment. Zon is an angel in horse skin, as you can tell I am sure with how he is with my 8 year old daughter.

Keep working on the Quarter Horse question.
    Job 12:7-10 : But ask the animals and they will teach you, or the birds of the air, and they will tell you; or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish of the sea inform you, which of all these does not know, that the hand of the Lord has done this? In His hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind. (NIV)

EquineB, here are a couple of links to info on the Quarter Horses
    http://www.imh.org/imh/bw/quar.html#history
    http://meme.essortment.com/quarterhorsesh_raga.htm
    Were you looking for the original breeds that mixed to become the Quarter Horse or the founding sires names or what?
    From these links you can see why I guessed they came from Turks, Barbs and Arabs but they also mixed with Spanish, Arabians, Morgans and Standardbred.
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08

Milly & Izzy

I am sorry! While the mustang ancenstory of barbs and turks may be correct, my one track mind was only thinking of ONE breed that contributed to the Quarter Horse, primarily. Here are a couple things that got that trivia in my head:

From the American Morgan Horse Association site:

The Quarter horse stallion Joe Bailey was a son of Headlight Morgan. Jubilee King, a famous Morgan, was also registered under the Quarter Horse name of Yellow Jacket. Yet another well-known Quarter Horse sire, Joe Hancock, was sired by Redolent, a son of the Morgan Red Oak. In 1920 the King Ranch of Kingsville, Texas, purchased the two-year-old colt Lucky from the U.S. Government Farm for the purpose of upgrading the stock horses they were breeding. Countless Morgan mares were purchased from farms in Illinois and turned out on the range in the King Ranch remuda but can not be identified as the offspring they produced where shown as being out of “Morgan Mare” in the original AQHA registry books.

And here is a link to a great article on the Morgan influence in the Quarter horse breed.

Justin Morgan's Contribution to the Quarter Horse

Originally posted by Equinebehaviorist
    Very close on the body part answer. It is a particular part of the leg.
    Let's see, would that be one of the pastern bones? Short or long? And didn't the Thoroughbred contribute to the Quarter Horse??

Ok people, I am going to post some more questions. I think I am going to stick with the breed guessing for a couple of posts.

Breed 1:
    * Stands between 15.2 and 16.2hh
    * Primarily used as a carrige horse
    * Blood type: warm
    * Influences are the Norfolk Roadster, Oldenburg, and Arabian
    * Comes from Europe.
    Breed 2:
    * Draft breed
    * Native to France
    * Used as a warhorse in the 14th century
    * Stands between 15.3 and 16.3hh
    * Blood type: cold
    Breed 3:
    * Native to Argentina
    * Originated from Spanish stock brought to South America in the 16th century.
    * Claimed to be the toughest, soundest horse in the world due to its Spanish ancestry.
    * Stands between 14 and 15hh.

Good luck!!
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Yup, the pastern itself is supposedly 75% the length it will be with the horse is full grown.

The Thoroughbred, to my knowledge, has only contributed to the modern, aka Apendix, QH. Don't know about the old style, original QH.

Have to think about those breeds.....

I know nbr 2!! Percheron, right? I used to have one of them babies and trained two others for someone last summer.

Y.L.L.

You sure come up with some good ones!!!!!!
    The Deli Dog

I want to Honor All of Our Rainbow Bridge Furkids

Originally posted by Equinebehaviorist
    I know nbr 2!! Percheron, right? I used to have one of them babies and trained two others for someone last summer.
    Nope, its not. This one is a tricky one, just like the other two.

Beautiful horse! Is that your daughter in that picture? My great aunt and uncle used to have 8 Belgians, but she had to sell them, for they are seniors (lol) and it was hard for them to care for the horses. One of them smashed her foot by stepping on it.

Y.L.L. You sure come up with some good ones!!!!!!
    Thanks!!

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Here are a couple of answers for you YLL.
    Is breed 2 the Breton?
    I am pretty sure that breed 3 is the Argentine Criollo.

EquineB, I know quite a bit about the AMHA.(it is here in Vermont)
    I will send you a PM later tonight.
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08

Milly & Izzy

Originally posted by Vermontcat
    Here are a couple of answers for you YLL.
    Is breed 2 the Breton?
    I am pretty sure that breed 3 is the Argentine Criollo.
    No, I am sorry but breed 2 is not the Brenton. However, you are correct with breed 3- it is the Criollo!! Yipee!

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

Yay! I got one right!
    I have no clue on the first one and I ran out of ideas for the 2nd one, I hope someone else can guess them.
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08

Milly & Izzy

Should I just post the answers now, or should I wait awhile? I think just about everyone has taken a shot at it already.

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

One more shot at the Draft (nbr2): Ardennes?

Yes, that is my daughter, then 7, in the pic with him. If you look really hard, you can see another gelding in the stall behind Odin. It was so fun having these guys this last summer.

OUCH! with the foot. Us hardy youngsters would have a hard time with that, I can't imagine an elder dealing with that!