Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veronica has dandruff

Veronica has dandruff

She's only 2 and she's got a bad case of the flakes. Shes also got that oily skin combo as well. My other cats are fluffy and soft. But she's oily and dry. I brush her every day and a LARGE amount of flakes fall from her coat. She's not losing hair, and there aren't any scabs, just plain ol' dry skin. Can it be that even though she is indoors, it could be this MASSIVE cold weather that has been sweeping over New England? Could it be stress? I don't know what else to think, it's not contagious, it's not fleas nor mites, like I said my other cats are fine. it only happens to her. My doctor suggested an oatmeal bath but YEAH RIGHT!! *LOL* that will be the day!! Any ideas or suggestions??
    I have had Minnie since I was 4 years old!! I am 18 now, she is truly my best friend for life!! I also am a momma to 6 other beauties as well :-)

Tubby has had bad dandruff ever since he was a little kitten, not pretty on a black cat. The vet way back then suggested premium cat food which tends to have more oils in it than the stuff you buy at the grocery store, so he's been fed Science Diet ever since - and it still hasn't made a bit of difference.

I believe they also have some oils that you can put on the dry food but I haven't really looked into those since 1986, so I can't really say much about those.

If Veronica's dandruff only shows up now and then, it very well could be the cold weather has her skin all dried out, and maybe the other kitties just naturally have more oils in their skin so it doesn't bother them.

After various other methods, I eventually gave up on Tubby's dandruff and reconciled myself to a flaky kitty. It's definitely a lot worse when I brush him.

Good luck with Veronica. Maybe they have come up with something that works better than when I was looking into it way back when.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Cookie has dandruff in the winter cause of the cold and the warm air in the house from the heat is so dry. I don't put any oil in her food, but you can do that if you want. She doesn't seem to be bothered by it, so I just let it go cause it's only a few flakes.
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

I'm with Neko. A couple of my cats also have kitty dandruff. The heat in my apartment is very dry so I figure that's the problem. It usually goes away once the heat is off and the weather is nicer out. There ARE oils you can add to your kittie's food, but I'd talk to your vet first.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Awwww Thanks Tubby Thanks Peanut Thanks Neko I am not ashamed anymore about my snow on my fur. I know other kitties have it as well!! When my brothers and sisters tease me about it I'll just stick my flaky tail up high and walk away with confidence knowing I am not the only one

P.S. Mommy is going to try and sneak oil in my food, but I won't eat it
    I have had Minnie since I was 4 years old!! I am 18 now, she is truly my best friend for life!! I also am a momma to 6 other beauties as well :-)

The lovely lady Livvy has a patch of dandruff, too, where it's difficult to reach/'baffie' oneself if you catch my drift... We've bought an oily food additive that the vet recommended, but she HATES it (drat the luck). We handle it by frequent brushings instead and try to convince meowmy that white flakes accentuate the black stripe down her back, like a highlighter, sort of.

In a previous thread, this was discussed and we found that most cats subject to this were ... rounder ... than average. Is Veronica amply rounded?
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Yes, AmberLee, she is and we are both embarassed by it

Originally posted by JillLovesMinnie14yrs
    Yes, AmberLee, she is and we are both embarassed by it
    Simply more of her to love...
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

as a groomer, I see this often. Mostly it is on "fat" cats. I have seen a drastic improvement in coat condition by simply changing to a premium food, as was stated earlier. And I think the reason larger cats get it mostly is the effort it takes for them to reach around and clean themselves. Definitely look into changing her food! But also consider bathing (take it to a shop if you cannot do it). You would be amazed how well there skin reacts to a thorough washing.

Awesome Jen thanks!! I think her coat actually may be because of her food. She only eats dry food ( Pro Plan ) . She doesn't touch wet food like her brothers and sisters. Now we all know how difficult it will be to change a diet with multiple cat households ..... perhaps maybe I can tempt her with a different wet food. Or perhaps her own special diet. Thanks for all your help and suggestions!! I *REALLY* appreciate it!! I feel to blame though, because most of my cats are overweight (Just like their mommy)

Just one more note: It does not have to be wet food. They can get a well conditioned coat on just dry food, as long as it is the right food for them.
    2 examples that I personally know of.
    1) when Y.Lee came to live with me he had a dandruffy coat, but a couple of months on c/d (that's what mine eat) and his coat was shiny as anybody's. It is high in fat
    2) a grooming customer of mine had a cat with a dandruff coat. It was also brittle and would mat rather easily, needed to change foods, and chose Iams. Same result......great looking coat.

the bottom line is finding which one is good for your cat, and most likely they can all eat it.

Hello

Two of my cats, have dandruff. My Tortie and my black/white. They never had it when they wer kittens, just as they got older then I started seeing dandruff. Toby, he doesn't have dandruff and he is a tabby. I suggest to you to brushed your cat to see if the dandruff will go away and if it doesn't the vet probably have something that would get rid of the dandruff. I don't give them anything, I just groomed to see if the helps.

Just yesterday it TOTALLY cleared up. All I did was brush her about 3 times a day and rub her alot, now her coat seems to be returning back to normal. I am sure there were other factors and not me just petting her (LOL) Maybe this is an on and off thing depending on stress levels or weather. In any case, for now, her coat looks just great and she seems more comfrotable too!! Thanks guys!!

actually, the brushing DID help. It distributes the coat's natural oils. You did a good job!

And also, the brushing will stimulate the hair folicle so it produces more oils. So to help prevent it coming back, just keep brushing her.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl