Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat in the cupboard.

Cat in the cupboard.

I was awakened early this morning (02:30) with a loud crash and hearing the tinkling of glass on the floor. I thought that either Fawn or Chris was playing at something. So, I immediately got up and went into the kitchen, and found one of my drinking glasses shattered that is kept in the cupboard. Still being half-asleep, I opened up the cupboard door and there was Tiara inside! I do not know what she was trying to prove, or why she was in here to begin with, as there is and has been no food kept for my furkids in there. I had to sweep up the broken glass, and make sure that I got all of it. I was afraid of them getting glass slivers in their paws.

I mention Chris because he is turning into a regular acrobat. He will run through the house, when I am busy about something, like using chairs and cabinet tops for launching pads and land on other things. When I say run, I mean at full speed. so that it is not uncommon for him to crash into things. . It is really funny to watch my "air-borne" kitty.

......wayne

I know what Tiara was trying to prove......that she CAN get in the cupboard, because she is a cat and can do ANYTHING she wants to. My biggest fear is the day my kitties learn to open cupboard doors, and I know that it it only a matter of time.

Jen, LOL on what Tiara is trying to prove!

I am thinking that I did not thoroughly shut the doors on that particular cupboard although, I really do not remember. If they were partially left open then she could have gotten in there using her paws to open the door. Because, when they are shut properly, it takes too much effort to get them open.

.........wayne

Thats funny! An Acrobatic Kitty! LOL
    I Cheer
    I Bump, Set, & Spike
    I Freethrow

GO FIGHT WIN!

or in the words of Cataholic:
    Go, Fight, Win the Lottery!

Sincerly signed a very Spirited Cheerleader!

Cookie loves to go into the cupboards. When you hear the pots and pans moving around, you know Cookie's in there! My kitties also had fun going into the cupboard below the sink, cause that's where we keep the garbage can-but ha ha- they can't do that anymore cause we have a child lock on it.
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

I live in an old house and sometimes the doors don't latch tightly. Bosun in particular loves to pry the linen closet door open and sleep on the towels!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

What worries me is the favourite place my kitties like to go is in the kitchen. They do hope from counter to counter and chair to chair. I DON'T like when they jump on the stove to get on top of the fridge. One day I am so afraid one will jump while they stove is on and burn themselves
    I have had Minnie since I was 4 years old!! I am 18 now, she is truly my best friend for life!! I also am a momma to 6 other beauties as well :-)

ooh the stove would be awful.

clive likes to play poltergeist every night. each morning i wake up to ALL (or close to all) of the cabinets open. i also live in an old house... some are hard to open, some dont close well. clive can open them all, and does!
    so far no broken dishes though....
    -babolaypo

Only that which is the other gives us fully unto ourselves.
    -Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

Originally posted by smokey the elder
    I live in an old house and sometimes the doors don't latch tightly. Bosun in particular loves to pry the linen closet door open and sleep on the towels!
    I have old cupboards (local farm stuff, 100 years old) and their doors don't latch too tight. So Tigris opens them. Sometimes when we come home, he opened all the cupboards just to show us he had to do something while we were away!

Regadring Filou: he's very good in seeing when I open one of the higher kitchen cupboards. Then from the floor he jumps to the half height, my shoulder and the cupboard, all in half a second. Ok and then everything is falling out because there isn't room for an extra cat

I have had to *kitty proof* my house against Bastet. She learnt how to open cupboard doors. She always went for the most dangerous ones too! I use those child locks on the doors now and she gets seriously annoyed when she can't open them but I don't want her getting sick or injured in anyway.
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

Oh Wayne, what a way to be woken up! Not to mention having to sweep up glass! I'm glad noone cut their feet.

Fister likes opening doors and cupboards too, luckily not in the kitchen. Today when I changed the bedlinen, I had left the door open and when I came back, who was laying comfy on the towels in there - Yes, Fister! I bet, now that he's discovered that cupboard too, he'll be going for that in the near future. - New exiting things!!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

My cats like to play with the cabinet doors. They will bat then back and forth and make a lot of noise. They do this in the kitchen and sometimes in the bathroom. One time Sunny woke me up very early in the morning because he was playing with the door under the sink. I call him my toddler because he sure acts like one. Maybe I should child proof my cabinet doors too.

Hi KrazyaboutKats,

That is EXACTLY why I cat proofed my kitchen. The witching hour antics of bastet bothered me (and my flatmate) so much we had to do something! Child proof locks have been the best investment!
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

Glad to hear Squirt isn't the only kitty obsessed with cupboard doors. Every night, and sometimes while everyone is at work, he makes the effort to go around the kitchen and open every cupboard door. Sometimes he gets in and rummages around but mostly he just seems to like to have them open.....

Sometimes at night I can hear him out in the kitchen trying to pry one of the more stubborn doors open with his paw: bump...bump bump...bang...bump... bump...bump...

Sometimes the noise drives me nuts and I'll get up and go out to the kitchen and....well, open the door for him. He's got me trained so well!

We have a laundry chute in the bathroom, and the door swings shut automatically - Abby found out that a good way to wake me up is opening the door and letting it bang shut.

4:00 in the morning:

bang

bang

bang

bang

until I get up and shut the bathroom door so she can't get to it.