Thread: Teaching an old kitty new tricks...

Teaching an old kitty new tricks...

Okay, I'd like some advice. My husband and I are moving into my mom's house, and part and parcel with the house comes Tinkerbell, my old kitty. He's a wonderful cat, the sweetest old man you could ever imagine. We don't want to move him (that's why he stayed with mom when I moved out with my husband). Mom's moving in with her mother at the end of February.

Here's my problem: Tinkerbell is a very old man, set in his ways. He's been an indoor/outdoor kitty for his entire life. He's almost fourteen, now. For obvious reasons, I want him to be a strictly indoor kitty. He's slowing down, getting stiff, and a little senile. (he forgets sometimes when he's sitting, or walking, and he'll just stay in one position until we remind him what he's doing by touching him) I'm afraid he'll get in a nasty catfight, catch something his aging immune system can't handle, won't be able to outrun a dog, or any number of horrifying things.

How do I ease this transition for him? We're trying to take it very slow, increasing the amount of time he's inside. He really doesn't do much but sleep in the sun when he's outside, anyway. Now, we've got him to where instead of going in and out when he wants, he stays inside all night, and only goes out during the day. Usually, if he wants out at night, we just plop him in bed with Mom, and he forgets he wanted out.

Does anyone have any other tips for our old man? He still gets the zoomies when he's been in too long. How can we ease the transition? He'll be indoor only no matter what, but we'd like it to be easy on both him AND us.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Inside/outside to Inside transition

Heather, I don't have much advice, but I can tell you you're doing the right thing. I let my old girl out one time too many when she was 15 and the outcome was not good. My new baby will be inside only and she doesn't think much of it. Just love him and play with him and even when he gets grumpy when he can't go out, just know you're doing him a great big favor. "Grumpy cats"...hmmmm....he'll take a nap and get into trouble...in other words, he'll act like a cat!

dragonchilde, I am certainly no expert on handling an aging cat, but it appears to me that you are doing the right thing. I knew a central Calif. citrus grower who had an 18 year-old tuxedo, who recently went to the RB. Apparently, older cats do a lot of sleeping, because that is all this cat did -outside in the day and inside at night. Very little changing of habits, as she always slept in the same place outside. (It is surmized that you live in a warm climate so Tinkerbell can sleep outside). I wouldn't totally keep him inside at first, because of his habit of sleeping in a safe place outside. But if he can make the transition without getting confused, I'd would do it. You might try finding some favorite food of his, and give him that to eat, in order that he will get set in his mind the idea of favorite food with being inside. It is good that you will care for this aging pet to make his last years favorable ones.

............wayne

I think you've already got the right idea by putting him in bed when he thinks he wants out at night. In other words, when he starts wanting out, try distracting him, and if he gets the zoomies (love that term ) give him something to play with. He will soon tire out and be more than happy to go take a nap - inside.

I agree that you're definitley doing the right thing. But I also think that cats adjust to being only inside a lot easier than we give them credit for, so instead of feeling guilty when he wants out and you don't want him out, just feel good that you're doing the right thing by keeping him safe.

Good luck and let us know how it all goes.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Well , the outside is a scary place for a kitty.

Is he set in his ways enough to be on a kitty lead or leash? I do not let my kitties outside (espeically even more so because I live in the city) But, if they do want out, they know mom has to supervise them while on a leash

Anywho, about the moving issue, I don't know what I would do if I had to pack up my things and move MY 14 year old into a new home. She is so set in her ways where she knows where everything is, and I would be so scared she would get lost in a new home, or it would depress her. I wish your old man lots of happiness in his new home, and I applaud him for being a ripe age for being an outdoor kitty!!
    I have had Minnie since I was 4 years old!! I am 18 now, she is truly my best friend for life!! I also am a momma to 6 other beauties as well :-)

lol....definitely no leash. You put one on him, and he just falls over and won't move. So far, he's adjusting pretty well. We spoil him rotten (he's the only one of the cats that's allowed table scraps...tonight he got to have some bits of lobster that we had for dinner. He was absolutely thrilled with that) and he gets mostly wet food, since his poor teeth have mostly fallen out thanks to his age. He's always had bad teeth.

I'll keep everyone updated.

Oh, the dead cat maneuver.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb