Thread: Self-cleaning litter boxes

Self-cleaning litter boxes

Has anyone tried the self-cleaning litter
    boxes ? They are quite expensive and I'd like to know if they are worth the investment. Maya refuses to use a litter box that's not cleaned immediately after use. We have three boxes for two cats and both favour the one , same box. Rarely will they use the other 2 boxes. Why I don't know ? They are all clean and covered. Bodhi used to use a different box but after months of use decided he wants to use the same box as Maya !!!!!!

We have tried one of those. It did not work well with our cats.

Here are a few reasons:
    1. it probably would be okay with 1 cat, but our 4 cats were a bit much for it
    2. it got caught in the cleaning cycle, for several minutes, trying to clean and clean and clean
    3. our cats like to dig, and the litter was only about an inch deep, too shallow for our cats

We are currently using manual litter boxes, they are cleaned by a
    faithful man-servent (me ) each day.
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

If you're talking about the electric ones, I haven't tried one and probably wouldn't. If you mean the ones you "tip" to clean, we had a thread about those just a little while ago - check it out here: How Often Should You Replace Litterboxes?
    The legend says that Mohammed adored cats. When one of them was sleeping on his sleeve and he had to go out, Mohammed supposedly cut off the sleeve so as not to disturb his pet.

A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast - Proverbs 12:10

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein

What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens

There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

If purring could be encapsulated, it'd be the most powerful anti-depressant on the market. ~Alexis F. Hope

If I remember correctly, there was a thread on this web-site where someone's cat got caught in one of those electric cat litter self-cleaning boxes, and tore the thing up, trying to get out of it.

............wayne

I don't trust those electric litter-boxes .. . What if a paw gets stuck
    Another reason for NOT buying one is : they are to shallow , and TO EXPENSIVE

Thanks for your input everyone. If it sounds too good to be true there has to be a catch somewhere. I have the rolling litter box and that's the one they favour. But it's the small model and they barely fit in now that they are a year old. The other two boxes are way bigger and roomier and new but they rarely use them. The problem with the rolling one is that the wet "cookies" stick to the bottom and when I roll they don't come out and have to be scraped out anyways. Doesn't matter if there is lots of litter cause they dig around like crazy in there and leave an uneven layer !!! Maybe the round Booda box !!

My Dad had a Littermaid when they first came out at $199. His cat liked it. Fuzzy317 echoes what I thought about it. I think it's fine for one cat, but when you have multiple cats, the waste container would fill up pretty fast and you can't put alot of litter in or the rake would get stuck.

As far as a cat getting stuck in it, I think it's a little far fetched as the box has a motion-sensor in it.

I wnt to try the rolling litterbox myself but can't find the "extra large" one they sell. The regular size one gives very little room for the cats to do their business.

Hey Scott, my cats could use a faithful man-servant. Interested???

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!