Thread: My Friend Dan and his Pets

My Friend Dan and his Pets

On March 24th, my friend Dan, an older (75) gentleman who had a post office box in my Post Office, and who had many health issues, passed away. He was found in his car in a Walmart parking lot, and his kitty was with him in the car.

Dan knew his health was failing, and was worried about his animals. A few months ago I promised him I would take them if he died. He had a dog, a beautiful older Rough Collie and former show dog named Chippy, and a dilute tortoiseshell kitty, Wee Little, whom I had given him when she was a kitten almost three years ago.

Dan was single, with no family. He was a former champion figure skater who went pro, then a long time NYC resident who worked at the Metropolitan Opera, before he retired to Vermont many year ago. Once here he became a substitute teacher at the local high school. He was a character, and much loved.

Before he died, unbeknownst to me, he brought Chippy to New England Collie Rescue - where a board member immediately fell in love and adopted her.
    It took me several days to find her whereabouts, though, I was much relieved to learn that, after all, I had made a solemn promise.

Wee Little was taken by the police to the local shelter near where his car and he were found. Tonight I get to go pick her up.

But the last week involved me calling every shelter and rescue I could think of locally and inquiring, putting the word out, and worried.

Please, make a plan for your pets if you pass away, and update it year to year, and let friends and family know. That would have saved me a lot of stress, and having to do all that while simultaneously grieving my friend, and letting people know of his passing.

Rest in peace, sir, and know Chippy and Wee Little will now be safe and loved as I promised.
    I've Been Frosted

Karen, I am so sorry for your loss. I'm glad Chippy quickly went to a new home, and I'm looking forward to hearing more about Miss Wee Little
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Miss Wee Little Primrose (Primrose was her name with us when she was a baby) is now safe, being loved and petted with our beloved friends Dave and Ginny, who are retired and home all day like Dan was! We figured the chaos of our place would be too stressful after all she has just been through, and they are thrilled to have her.
    I've Been Frosted