Thread: Cleo R.I.P.

Cleo R.I.P.

We lost our little former-feral momma cat Cleo yesterday- she was among a group of semi-feral and feral cats who lived at a Shell gas station next to an interstate- when caught she was very pregnant and 2 days after capture she had 4 kittens, who are still here and completely socialized and happy- but Cleo was very feral and never really socialized at all-
    SHe had a room she adopted as her own, with a big cat tree to climb and look outside at birds and things, and she ABSOLUTELY did not want to go back outside and face feral life again- she just wasn't a people-oriented cat, and living as she did, having kittens and raising them in those circumstances, she probably had to be that way. Vet visits were heavy-glove affairs but she behaved for the vets- she had some skin issues that required monthly medication- but she thoroughly enjoyed bits of bacon or egg from breakfasts, bits of chicken or turkey or beef from dinners- she had a pretty good life and was protected from the elements and bad people- and to her best extent, she was grateful-
    A few days ago she really kind of began to shut down- vet said she was a little anemic but didn't show evidence of anything but age (she was at least 13-14)- but she mostly quit eating, even with an appetite stimulant, then began hiding a little bit- as of Thursday night she was curled up comfortably but really almost unresponsive- and yesterday during the day she went to Rainbow Bridge, still curled up peacefully-
    As antisocial as she could be, I'm gonna miss her- she did appreciate her situation and us, even if she couldn't express it as we might've wished. and her kittens, all of them, are still here and wonderful pets- so her legacy lives on-
    Rest well at RB Cleo- you were an EXCELLENT mother to your kits and you were safe and secure, and had the best life you could have had-- send purrs from RB please-

bowlkat
    "If they could cross Man with the cat, it would improve
    Man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

Cleo

Cleo's cremains came home a while back- meanwhile her children have decided "her" room is now THEIR headquarters, several of them now hang out in there on "her" cat tree and lounge on "her" bed- I think in their own way, they miss her- she did raise them VERY well and take excellent care of them, and they're kind of honoring her, I think- they're all completely socialized and friendly as she rarely was, but they miss her nonetheless-

Even antisocial former ferals are worth saving- Cleo was headed for an early and ugly death at the Union City Shell station before we caught them, and all the cats from that colony have happy homes and are living in comfort with proper medical care and nutrition- Cleo always loved getting bits of people food, especially chicken or shrimp- she was happy and grateful, as best she could be-
    Still miss her- and obviously her children do too- play happy at RB Cleo--
    "If they could cross Man with the cat, it would improve
    Man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

Dear bowlkat, I am deeply touched to read about your loss of your precious Cleo. I'm sorry I'm so late with my response, but I have had a lot of trouble getting onto Pet Talk lately. I'm just seeing your posts now.

What a lovely, sweet kitty lady she was (and still is and always will be!), and what a wonderful thing you did, rescuing this pregnant girl and her feral colony from their rough lives by the gas station. That is a terrific story you have to tell, about Cleo and her life! You welcomed her into your home, and she settled right in, having her kittens two days after she arrived. Bless you and your family for bringing her home! She and the kits all became part of the family, living wonderful lives full of love and warmth and safety and comfort and tasty food. Then recently she started to slow down, and when it was time, she was curled up comfortably and peacefully, and she made her journey to the Rainbow Bridge.

Now Cleo is a glorious Angel, whole and healthy again, playing and resting with so many other loving and beloved animal Angels, watching over you always and sending down love. My very deepest sympathy to you, bowlkat and Cleo's kits and all your family. You did an amazing, wonderful thing, rescuing her and welcoming her into your home and family, where she lived a life full of beauty and joy. May your precious memories and keepsakes and her grown kittens help to bring you comfort.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} and ~~~~PURRRS~~~~ and from Pat and kitties Sparkler and Tinker

P.S., Dear sweet Cleo Angel, your beloved bowlkat loves you and misses you so very much! Please send some Angelic purrrs to bowlkat's heart, with the reassurance that you are there always, watching over all your family of humans and grown kittens, and you will all be together again, One Fine Day...
    Last edited by phesina; 12-19-2022 at 08:17 PM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery