Thread: my cat has a raw rear as result of diarrhea

my cat has a raw rear as result of diarrhea

Help!
    My cat has had diarrhea for the last 2 days, which seems to be subsiding. The problem is, the area around her "butt" (for lack of a better word) is swollen and raw and also had a bad odor. Is there something that i can do for her sore backside??

Hey !! I see that people have viewed my post and there have been no replys. I am a first time user of this forum, and really have never done this before, and am very disappointed. I love my cat and I don't want to take her to the emergency vet because she gets really stressed out when you take her in the car.

Is it because I don't have a cute name or picture?

My cats name is Kate - she's a beautiful (spoiled) long haired Calico, about 10 years old. PLEASE HELP!!
    Last edited by lindak; 10-21-2005 at 10:16 PM. Reason: no replys, but has been viewed

Hi welcome to PT. I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. I'm not sure what to tell you to do but maybe you could try to clean her bottom with a warm wash cloth if she'll let you. If she's still having diarrhea or other problems then I think you'd better call your vet. I hope that Kate will feel better soon.

First of all....WELCOME! Second, sometimes people view the thread but have no input. After reading they realize that they can't really help, so they don't post. Do not e offended by that.

Now, for your problem. Have you determined WHY the cat has diarrhea? She will most likely need to see a vet to determine what she needs to STOP the diarrhea. In the meantime, my vet told me that you can use hydrocortisone cream (anti itch cream. comes in a tube and can be bought at a drug store. like the brand name Cortaid, etc) to reduce the swelling of the rectum.

Hi Lindak
    I've been off the air pretty much and just catching up now.
    Well, not to be too personal, but when I've had racing diarrhoea I get a sore red butt too, so not to be too concerned maybe.
    Jen's idea of some cream is good. Even paw paw ointment if you can get it there, we have one here called Lucas' Paw Paw ointment which is great for sore skin/itches etc anywhere. As it's plant based if puss grooms and licks it off she's less likely to be affected.
    And yes to find out the cause, maybe she just ate something outside that didn't agree too well. Not been chewing any plants or anything? Been near any other cats?
    Also hopefully not dehydrated. Definitely worth a vet check even if puss seems better, even if just to help with rehydration/electrolyte balance.
    Wishing her well (and you)
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. (Albert Schweitzer)

Hi Lindak sorry I didn't post sooner, I've been away for a couple of days. My Lenox had some problems that sound similar to Kate's. The vet shaved his rear end, gave him a baby enema, and sent me home with a tube of Animax (dog/cat antibiotic ointment) I applied it a couple of times a day, and washed his bottom as neede (a lot!). If you have any questions feel free to PM me or email me through my profile. I hope Katie feels better soon!

Help

Quote Originally Posted by JenWhite View Post
    Hi Lindak sorry I didn't post sooner, I've been away for a couple of days. My Lenox had some problems that sound similar to Kate's. The vet shaved his rear end, gave him a baby enema, and sent me home with a tube of Animax (dog/cat antibiotic ointment) I applied it a couple of times a day, and washed his bottom as neede (a lot!). If you have any questions feel free to PM me or email me through my profile. I hope Katie feels better soon!
    JenWhite I hope you’re still active on this forum as I am going through the same situation as you described with my 1 year old cat because she somehow got a cut below her anus and it has been so hard to wipe her butt and apply the ointment. Her entire bum seems so raw since the vet shaved her & we don’t know what to do. She’s so big it’s so hard to hold her down