Thread: Weird sneezing and a hard decision :(

Weird sneezing and a hard decision :(

Well I am scheduling a vet appointment for all the kitties (Houdini, Mystic and Cheetah) for a yearly exam and also tests/vaccinations. I am a little worried about Mystic because he has been sneezing like crazy! He always does this around this time of year. I don't know if it's allergies or what but I want him to get some tests done along with the others. Before I update thier shots I always have them FIV. FELV, FIP (if my vet has this test) tested before updating thier shots just to be on the safe side. After all all vaccines are not a guarantee.

Anyways, I am also going to have the cats teeth cleaned. Cheetah is two years old and I think a dental scaling should be in order for her. Mystic really needs it done and Houdini seems like she needs it, although not as bad as Mystic, but she still needs it as there is tarter buildup etc. Now here is the dilemma. Houdini has a heart mumur. I know she needs to have her teeth cleaned but anesthesia is a risk for her. We could have tests done first which would tell us if she would be at risk or not. I am torn between her needing her teeth cleaned and her getting sick from bad teeth in the future. I don't want her to get sick but I don't want to lose her from going under either. What do you all think I should do? Either way I would be risking something!

Cass
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

I'd have the test done on Houdini first to assess the risk of anaesthesia, then make a decision from there. Her murmur may have improved or deteriorateed since the last time she saw the vet so at least you know what you are dealing with.

Good luck with the vet visit
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

Dental grades are painful. Afterwords, the cats bleed from their mouths hours after the procedures. I wouldnt reccomend a dental scrape/grade/scald. Minnie is 14 and has never had any dental procedures. Yes, her breath is a little smelly but it's okay There are many products and toothpastes, ect for kitties out there that work. Can even mix them in with food. Minnie ALSO has a heart murmur, and it is not as serious as it sounds. Most kittens are born with small heart murmurs and live a full healthy life. Minnie is not in the BEST health, but she gets around and can do every day activities with ease. if you don't have to put your cat under, than don't
    I have had Minnie since I was 4 years old!! I am 18 now, she is truly my best friend for life!! I also am a momma to 6 other beauties as well :-)

I'd also have the necessary tests done to assess her risks to anesthesia. If she doesn't really need it I wouldn't have it done. My cat Storm had his teeth cleaned when he was 6 because he really needed it and Pepper will be 6 soon and hasn't needed it. Sunny is only 2 and does need it sometime this year. Good luck.

Bassett hasn't been put under anesthetic either because of her hypertension. My vet used a sedative and then gas, and was able to do her chest drain. If your kitty can't have anesthesia, maybe this option might work?

Have you tried doing it yourself? Our vet sells a whole line of dental products for cats. We currently give them special dental treats and a kitty mouthwash goo. It seems to be working well for them. They also have those kitty toothbrushes and paste. I would try that if you are really worried.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Filou has had dental cleaning under anesthesia 2 times and he never bleeded from the mouth. He would never let me do it and our vet says he might loose his confidence in us if we forced him to clean his teeth. Unfortunately he seems to produce lots of acids and whatever.
    My human dentist says that it is the same with humans. Some of them get more plaque than others from the consistence of their saliva. (Filou doesn't smoke anyway ).

Tubby is 16 1/2 and has never had his teeth cleaned in his life. He only gets hard food except for the occassional canned food as a treat. He has horrible breath, but the vet said his teeth look fine and he wouldn't recommend a cleaning for him.

I would say to ask the vet about it. If he/she feels that Houdini's teeth really need to be cleaned, then figure out how it should be done, but it's entirely possible that it's really not a problem and you don't need to risk the anesthesia at all. But I think your vet should be the one to make that decision since he/she would best know Houdini's risks and the benefits from the cleaning. Good luck!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl