Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tex and his thyroid.....does anyone know...

Well, I called the white coats, and THANKFULLY both Tex and Geo tested negative for Felk...so, I don't think I will have the rest tested..since I was mainly concerned about Tex with his age...

Well, the white coat wasn't available but the notes suggest to decrease the thyroid meds to 1/2 the amount...but, I can't tell if that means 1/4 tab twice a day, or 1/2 pill 1 time a day. So, I am not going to do anything until tomorrow, when I speak to the vet. I guess I am happy that the medication is working, and that it was a thyroid condition. One concerning issue was the tech mentioning something about his kidney level (or I think that was the term she used). Something is too high, and there was a talk about more medication...some calcetron or something. Liver/kidney functions were fine 6 weeks ago. One of the affects of the tapezole (though I thought it was long term) is kidney/liver complications. Hmmmm....overall? I am pleased, but, I need more info, and this makes the T131 more appealing.

Thanks for listening.

Cataholic, I'm glad that Tex and Geo tested negative for the Felk. That is good news!! Bless Tex's little kitty heart! I think the T131 would be a good option for you guys to consider. Be sure to call around to those 3 locations I posted to get opinions from the drs there. Go with the one that you feel most comfortable with, and gave the best answer/solution for Tex's thyroid treatment plan. Do let us know what you decide. Give all of your cutie-patootie black and whites scritchies for me
    **hugs**
    Karen

Originally posted by Cataholic
    One concerning issue was the tech mentioning something about his kidney level (or I think that was the term she used). Something is too high, and there was a talk about more medication...some calcetron or something. Liver/kidney functions were fine 6 weeks ago. One of the affects of the tapezole (though I thought it was long term) is kidney/liver complications. Hmmmm....overall? I am pleased, but, I need more info, and this makes the T131 more appealing.

Thanks for listening.
    I'm glad to hear he's doing better overall, but I have to admit that when you mentioned he was throwing up more, I did think of the kidneys because that's what Tubby's problem is. I didn't say anything because I knew you had him checked not long ago, and I didn't know if the throwing up was related to his thyroid problem at all. I don't know about side affects of other drugs or anything, but I do know that kidney failure is quite common in older cats. Tubby has chronic kidney failure - which means it will just gradually get worse - as compared to acute (I believe it's called) which is a sudden and usually devasting failure of the kidneys which not too many kittys recover from.

So with Tex, it might be a combination of the drug side affects and his getting old. It's possible the side affects just sped the whole process up a bit. I'm not sure what calcetron is, but Tubby was prescribed with 1/4 of a Pepcid everyday. The Pepcid calms the acids in his tummy so he doesn't throw up as much which means the food stays in and he can benefit from it more. He throws up a lot less now.....a lot. From his appt almost a year ago, to the one he had almost 6 months ago, he had not only gained weight, but his "levels" had gone back to more normal levels - which the vet was kinda surprised at. They said the Pepcid wouldn't reverse any damage that had already been done, but it would slow the progression of any more damage.

So if you do the T131 to take care of the thyroid problem, you might want to ask your vet about the Pepcid thing for his kidneys - unless the calcetron is the same sort of thing. Pepcid is relatively cheap since it can be bought over the counter.

I sure hope the big guy gets feeling better soon.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Joanna, the vet probably means to decrease the Tapazole to 1/4 tablet twice daily and not 1/2 tablet once daily. The second option would create spikes in the thyroid levels (because the medicine doesn't last for 24 hours in the body) and that is what you want to avoid.

I am not sure what the vet tech was referring to when she talked about the "kidney level", but you may find that once the Tapazole dose is decreased or you take the T131 route, the kidney damage will be stopped.

Please keep us posted on Tex's condition and your decisions.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I talked to white coat yesterday, and just didn't have a chance to post yet.

Emily_the_spoiled was right, I now have Tex on 1/4 tab twice a day. Tex will be rechecked in 6 weeks...sometime around March 1. As to the kidney levels...his are elevated. His BUN is 38.7 (down from 39.6 last visit- which is essentially not a decrease according to the vet...but, I say take what you can get, right?). I am hoping you are right about the kidney issue being stopped once the tapazole is moderated.

Normal BUNs are anywhere from 10-30. We discussed a low proteing diet, something about that makes the kidney have to process less protein, so, less goes into the blood...THIS MAY NOT BE ACCURATE...I need to research this. But, Tex'ster really likes this low residue stuff, and it seems to help control his vomiting.

P and T, yeah, the last time we were in, the vet said that because Tex has been a chronic vomiter, the thyroid probably wasn't doing this to him. But, I have noticed a lot less vomit since he has been on the tapazole. Strange, huh? But, I am also feeding him more often, keeping food in his system better, cause I feed him 'treat' food for taking his meds so wonderfully. So, maybe that helps too. I always had a sneaking suspicion that the vomiting was linked to the acid buildup...so, no food to absob/work on, more bile, more throwup. Who knows.

So, we are on planned maintanance until March. I am hoping he puts on even more weight. I am holding all decisions on the T131 until March, when I see the effects of the tapazole, his weight, his kidney functions, etc.

As usual, thanks for caring and supporting the herd in their quest for health!!

Johanna

Poor Johanna and Tex....this part of parenthood is so hard.

Glad he likes his new food and that he is getting regulated. Keep us updated on any news...

Can we have a picture of Tex? It'll make him feel better, you know, extra attention from us.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Glad to hear everything is going ok. Can't have that Tex guy feeling bad now can we?

I've been checking out some cat health pages lately, and somewhere along the line I remember reading that cats with thyroid problems (don't remember if it's hyper or hyp[b]o[/] though) will generally vomit more, so if the tapazole is helping with his thyroid, it might also explain why he's not throwing up as much, also.

Keep us updated on how he's doing, and I have to agree with Kelly, giving us a picture of him will certainly make him feel better - and us too.
    Tubby
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012

Cataholic
    how is Tex doing now?

Originally posted by mom of 6 cats
    Cataholic
    how is Tex doing now?
    I am going to have to get used to your new name!!!!! I was like, "Who..." then I remembered

I really, really think Tex is kickin' bootie and takin' names! He is on the reduced Tapazole...1/4 tab 2x day. He takes it like a champ, no fussing or anything. I have noticed a different attitude with him. He seems much more social with me, in my lap, on my chest, got me out of bed this am, laid with me Sunday morning on the couch. He has been a lot nuttier, too! Playing his silly little loner games, jumping fifteen feet in the air for no reason. I also think he is continuing to gain weight. He isn't so sunken in the hips anymore. His coat still looks, to me, a little lackluster. But, this could be age related. Tex used to have the thick black black coat- like ebony. But, it seems to be a little shinier. We go back to the white coats in March for another check. The vet did want him on a lower protein diet to keep his BUN in control, but, for now, I am doing one change at a time.

Thanks for asking!!! Tex sends a very large hug to everyone.
    Johanna

I'm so glad to hear that Tex is doing well and being mr. social! What a darling sweetie. Hopefully the maintenance program will be a big help and he won't need any surgery after all!! Please know that we're all still thinking about you and your sweet Tex man! He's a real cutie! Be sure to give us a March check-up update!
    **hugs**

I'm so glad to hear Tex is doing better! Yeah, way to go Tex man!!! Keep up the good work so you get a good report card in March.
    Tubby
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012