Thread: pippy has bumps and hair loss please help

pippy has bumps and hair loss please help

my cast Pippy has bumps all over her neck and head. She has also lost all of her hair off her back hind legs and lower part of her stomach it looks like someone shaved her. She also eats ravenously but gains no weight.

I took her to a vet and they were of very little help. They did a skin scrape to rule out any mite. Gave her flea medicine called Bravecto plus I had to ask about her diet only then did they instruct me to feed her Natural balance limited ingredient diet salmon and green pea. Which she wants nothing to do with so I told the vet and they told me to add it to the food I was feeding her to gradually get her used to it which was fancy feast canned food. She is wearing a collar and is miserable. They gave her an antibiotic shot and prescribed me liquid drops of prednisolone. her bumps aren't getting any better and she seems miserable. I asked them if they could treat her as if she had a fungus infection without the costly 500 charges they want to confirm she has a fungus. They said they would get back to me after they talked to the vet and still no follow-up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading Pippy and Rochelle

How long has it been since the antibiotics? Poor Pippy!
    I've Been Frosted

Any further word from the vets? How is sweet Pippy doing now?

We are sending along loads of love and prayers and warm healing energies that she will be doing well before long!

Last edited by phesina; 03-31-2021 at 02:24 PM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    How long has it been since the antibiotics? Poor Pippy!
    Hi its been 4 days since we went to the vet. Her bumbs do seem to be getting better. Thank you for your concern.I hope I can find food that she likes that doesnt harm her. Any ideas are greatly welcomed. We hope you have za wonderful day
    Pippy & Rochelle

Hi, no word from the vet. I'm going to call again tomorrow. She does seem to be improving. Thank you for your warm thoughts.
    Sincerly
    Pippy & Rochelle

Quote Originally Posted by misshollybody View Post
    Hi, no word from the vet. I'm going to call again tomorrow. She does seem to be improving. Thank you for your warm thoughts.
    Sincerly
    Pippy & Rochelle
    Glad to hear it. As for food, start simply with as few ingredients as possible - and see how she reacts. In humans, we start with plain rice, then add things gradually back in, and see what causes an issue. I do not know what the kitty equivalent might be for the rice, though. erfrfr(added by Sunflower, our black beauty.) A scrambled egg?
    I've Been Frosted

Pippy updated

Hi all I'm posting this update to follow up in case anyone was curious in regards to my darling kitty cat, Pippy. O.k I have omitted any grain from her diet. Which has completely remedied the issue with being covered in little bumps. Yeah! However she was in a collar for 3 weeks and her hair loss was slowly but surely growing back, so I removed the collar. Now I'm noticing her hair loss has definitely returned in full force. In addition, I've noticed her biting herself in those areas. Which anytime I catch her I calmly tell her to stop. However, she definitely has her hiding places which I cannot access, and imagine this is where the bulk of her self-mutilation is accruing. So my roommate notices and tells me he thinks I should put her back in the collar indefinitely to break this bad habit. She hates the collar and I hate to see her unhappy and above all mad at me. So I could really use someones else's opinion as what to do and what and how to fix this problem. I told him if her biting herself relieves her from feeling anxiety or relieves her from whatever it is that is making her bite herself that as long as its not hurting her of course other than cosmetically, then I soon just let her bite bc she is so unhappy and sad while wearing the collar. Ok I have rambled enough and like I said any help or advice will be very appreciated and Pippy and I thank you in advance and hope everyone is having an amazing day or night.
    Sincerely Pippy & Rochelle

Quote Originally Posted by misshollybody View Post
    I told him if her biting herself relieves her from feeling anxiety or relieves her from whatever it is that is making her bite herself that as long as its not hurting her of course other than cosmetically, then I soon just let her bite bc she is so unhappy and sad while wearing the collar. Ok I have rambled enough and like I said any help or advice will be very appreciated and Pippy and I thank you in advance and hope everyone is having an amazing day or night.
    Sincerely Pippy & Rochelle
    Any idea what is causing her anxiety?
    I've Been Frosted

Dear Rochelle, thank you for the update on sweet Miss Pippy. I'm so sorry she's having these problems with anxiety and hair loss and biting. That's a good question from Karen about what is causing her anxiety. I don't have any specific advice to give you.

Have you talked with the vet yet about this? It would be a good idea to touch base there and fill them in on the current situation. Are you able to get in touch with them? You were having problems earlier. I hope you can connect with them. If you still have problems, you might want to have her checked by another vet.

We are sending loads more loving good wishes and prayers and warm healing energies to dear Pippy and you. Please keep us posted on what happens and how she's doing!

All the best from Pat (human) and Sparkler and Tinker (felines) .
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Hi Rochelle and Pippy!

So sorry to hear of Pippy's issues. My Tabby boy, Tigg'r, never had any skin issues then, at 12 years old out of nowhere, he suddenly began incessant/obsessive licking, biting at the fur on his back legs, his bottom and lower stomach leaving him totally furless in those areas!

All tests proved negative for medical issues such as mites, allergies etc. so our vet conculded it was an OCD/anxiety issue,"psychogenic alopecia!"

. Psychogenic alopecia is a stress-related disorder. It is an obsessive-compulsive behavior where the cats suddenly cannot stop licking or chewing at themselves. Since grooming releases endorphins (hormones that make the cat happy), they will often partake in this pleasurable and relaxing ritual to help calm themselves.

Tigg'r had not shown any change in behavior (acting stressed out) other than the licking so I was doubtful that was the problem; he's always been a very laid back kitty, taking everything in stride! Anyway, the vet suggested we try a synthetic pheromone treatment like Feliway (available online) so we did, along with growing some kitty grass for him to graze on, hoping it would be a distraction. After a few weeks the licking subsided, his fur beginning to grow back. Two months later the obsessive licking had stopped, all of his fur grown back in full!

Synthetic pheromones, like Feliway, which comes in a spray and diffuser form, can also be used in calming cats. It mimics the facial pheromones that cats use to mark their territory and keep calm.

This is a great article from the Angell Memorial Animal Hospital in Boston on over-grooming,
    "psychogenic alopecia," causes and treatment! Hope it helps!

Love to dear Pippy!

https://www.mspca.org/angell_service...grooming-cats/

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~