Thread: Poor Snoopy....

Poor Snoopy....

Since Snoopy almost didn't eat anymore, and made huge pee biscuits, we went to the vet with her.
    The vet took blood and send it to a laboratorium.
    The results are very bad....! Snoopy's kidney are in a very bad shape....
    From now on she should eat only special food for cats with kidney failure.
    HUGE problem: she hates it!!! We have no choice and mix that food (Science Hill's) with the only food she eats (IF she eats...). She also has to take pills as medication. But....... it is impossible to put a pill in her mouth, and she refuses food when added to her food, because she smells it and refuses to eat that food. Now the vet wants us to give her Semintra (a liquid medication). Same problem though: she only eats a little little bit of the food where we added that liquid to...
    If she continues like this, she will get worse very soon.....
    Poor sweetheart..., she is also very tiny, weighs only 2,5 kg....
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Poor Snoopy. Have you tried Pill pockets, I ordered them from USA since they are not available in Europe.
    I have never tried them , I hope I will never use them. Lots of pets and scritches to Snoopy.

Oh, Lut. I am so sorry to hear of dear little Snoopy's kidney problems and the difficulty in giving her the medication. Does the vet have any ideas or suggestions of how best to get the medication into her?

Sparkler has to take Gabapentin every day, 2/3 of a capsule 3 times a day. I found the best way to do this is to dissolve the contents of two capsules in 3 ml of chicken broth, which tastes good to her. Then I syringe that up into 3 syringes of one ml each. I give her a syringe-full 3 times a day: early morning, mid-day, and then late evening, so she gets her proper doses and she doesn't fight getting it squirted into her mouth.

Would doing something like that help with Snoopy taking her medication, dissolving it in something like chicken broth that would taste good to her? I hope maybe this will give you some ideas of things to do.

We are sending loads of good wishes and prayers and loving warm energies to Snoopy and you all.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} and ~~~~PURRRS~~~~ and from Pat and Sparkler and Tinker
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Would doing something like that help with Snoopy taking her medication, dissolving it in something like chicken broth that would taste good to her? I hope maybe this will give you some ideas of things to do.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} and ~~~~PURRRS~~~~ and from Pat and Sparkler and Tinker
    That's a great idea Pat, I will try that out!! That chicken broth, do you make that at home, or do you use a stock-cube ?
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Hello, Lut and Snoopy!

I get cans of chicken broth at the supermarket. If there aren't cans of it in stores where you are, you could use a stock-cube or make your own stock. And if she doesn't like the chicken, maybe there's another meat she would like stock from.

I have a very small pitcher in which I keep enough stock for a couple days' doses of the medication. I keep that in the refrigerator. When I open a new can of the stock, I make sure the pitcher has enough in it, and if it needs more, I add some to it. Then I pour the rest of the can-full into ice-cube trays, and I put those in the freezer to make chicken-broth ice-cubes. That way the stock will last longer. Then, when I need more in the pitcher for making syringe-doses, I put one of the ice-cubes in the pitcher to thaw.

Kitties and I hope that will work for Snoopy! We hope she'll like it and it will make it easier for her to get her medication. Please keep us posted, and know that we are all sending loads of love and prayers and warm healing energies.

Love from Tinker and Sparkler and Pat
    Last edited by phesina; 02-25-2021 at 09:51 PM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Prayers on the way for dear Snoopy, and for you!
    I've Been Frosted

With lots of patience my hubby managed to give her the medicine.
    He sits besides her and pets her as long as she eats her mashed chicken puree(with the med in it !)!
    She still doesn't eat enough; she weighs only 2,5 kg (she is 15)
    Her favorite hobby is.................. nap nap nap etc...!

What a good girl, and what a good hubby! We're glad she's getting some food in along with her medicine. Thank you all for loving each other so very much and taking such good care of each other.

We're sending more loving good wishes and prayers and warm energies to dearest Snoopy and you all.

Pat and Sparkler and Tinker
    Death thought about it.