Thread: Bath Dog, How Often?

Bath Dog, How Often?

How often should I bath my dog? I have been washing her every Fridays because she gets, smells dirty easily! The only way to avoid being dirty is to keep her inside but I'm not allowing that, she needs to exercise, play n all -
    rest and sleep softly sweet locke..

Opinions differ, but I'd say if she isn't having any skin problems from the frequent washings then she is probably ok. Actually, mine get very few wintertime baths. So I'd say they are bathed on the average every 2-3 months. They probably need them more frequently! And they always get a bath when I have to board them. I absolutley love it when they are squeaky clean after a bath at the groomers, but it gets expensive with three big dogs, so we try and stretch it out.

Logan

Smokey gets a bath once a week. It would probably be more like once every 2 weeks if he wasn't white. He doesn't get smelly usually, he just looks dirty.

I think there's different factors that play into how often a dog
    needs a bath. Coat type for one. If your dog's coat traps
    dirt easy, they're going to need bathing more often. I've
    got 2 Cairn terriers, who have wirey hair and the dirt just
    kind of drops off their fur. So I would normally only need to
    bath them maybe every 3-4 months. But Maddie, the lil' female,
    has allergies, so she gets bathed every 2 weeks. So the health
    condition of your dog would be another reason.

I also have a 6 month old Smooth Coated Collie. His coat stays
    very clean, so I don't think he's going to need a lot bathing.
    Maybe twice a year, unless he gets into something. He's getting
    bathed every 2-3 weeks right now, just so he'll be use to being
    bathed as a puppy, so it won't be a problem later.

Par...

I think part depends on the type of dog, and the type of shampoo you are using. Get a high quality dog shampoo and conditioner.

We have an older yorkie that comes in twice a week to be bathed, and his fur feels fine. There's others that come in every 2 weeks with a schnauzer and a shih tzu.

So far Nebo's been getting a bath around every 1 1/2-2 months. He really doesn't need it...huskies don't really tend to stink. But, it really helps with his shedding, as I can blow his coat out. Plus it makes him feel so soft.

Reggie and Smokey usually just get a bath when they start to stink...actually, it's about the same as Nebo.

A lot of time the smell is from an ear infection or yeast infection and not the overall chemistry of the dog. If it is related to either of these areas then you need to contact a vet and get an antibiotic to treat the cause of the infection. I have never had contact with a dog that just plain out stinks in less than a week unless it was an infection or the dog was rolling in something.

If you are bathing that often, please make sure you are using a high quality but gentle shampoo so you don't dry the dogs skin out. Conditioning may also be necessary.

I bath my dogs about every three to four weeks depending on the season or what is going on. I use a dremel on their nails about every week so the nails stay short.

Well for mine, they get a waterless shampoo about once every week - two week and a bath every month - month and a half.

Maybe you could try that instead of weekly baths the waterless usually takes care of the smellyness. (I usually use it when they start to stink)
    Hold your head high.
    Don't ever let 'em define
    The light in your eyes.
    Love yourself, give them Hell.
    You can take on this world.
    You just stand and be strong
    And then fight
    Like a girl.

Haha ok...

Uhh yeah...my dog have no skin problem..I should have added this.."a very normal dog" - I just wanted to know..I have been using this dog shampoo and conditioner 'Oatmeal & Tea Tree Oil Infuser' (vet's formula) also 'Herbal Shampoo for Cats and Dogs' - Each of these shampoos had their turn . I really like Herbal one because it made my cat and dog so soft and happier! Works great! Yeah yeah, my dog doesn't get 'stink' that quickly...only if she plays in mud (but hate water...weird!) and on the beach mostly! Loves to rub her face on the wet grass as many times as she wants! I think I'd just bath her every two and half weeks...I love to have them cleaned!

try Lambert Kay's Fresh n' Clean shampoo. You will love the scent!!

Weekly is perfectly fine as long as it is a shampoo for dogs and not humans. (different ph you know). Rinsing well is the key. Shampoo left in the coat is irritating to the skin and attracts dirt.

Originally posted by jenluckenbach
    try Lambert Kay's Fresh n' Clean shampoo. You will love the scent!!

Weekly is perfectly fine as long as it is a shampoo for dogs and not humans. (different ph you know). Rinsing well is the key. Shampoo left in the coat is irritating to the skin and attracts dirt.
    Okay! PetCo, PetsMart or Pet Supplies is where I can find? Help me in case I couldn't find!

Re: Haha ok...

Originally posted by Gina's Ark Inc.
    Uhh yeah...my dog have no skin problem..I should have added this.."a very normal dog" - I just wanted to know..I have been using this dog shampoo and conditioner 'Oatmeal & Tea Tree Oil Infuser' (vet's formula) also 'Herbal Shampoo for Cats and Dogs' - Each of these shampoos had their turn . I really like Herbal one because it made my cat and dog so soft and happier! Works great! Yeah yeah, my dog doesn't get 'stink' that quickly...only if she plays in mud (but hate water...weird!) and on the beach mostly! Loves to rub her face on the wet grass as many times as she wants! I think I'd just bath her every two and half weeks...I love to have them cleaned!
    The "Oatmeal and Tea Tree Infuser" (yellow) is one of the shampoos we use at Petco grooming. It seems to be a really nice shampoo to me, though I don't care for the scent. The "Oatmeal Protein Conditioner" would be good to use with it also. It smells very nice and makes the fur soft.