Thread: insulin for dogs

insulin for dogs

I have a lab named Sach. He has diagnosed with diabetes a few months back. I already had a health concern with Sach because he has been eating food and drinking water more than usual, resulting in increased urination. He has been losing weight, but I couldn't clarify what happened to his appetite all though he is overeating. So I took him to the Vet, and after running a couple of tests and checking his blood glucose level, the Vet said my dog has diabetes.
    We took insulin shots for Sach from the Vet, but it became difficult to get to the Vet later. So we bought in-home insulin kits, as recommended by the Vet. He showed us how to do it, and I gave Sach insulin shots for the past 6-8 weeks. We used to buy insulin and syringes separately, and the specific needles were to be purchased as recommended by the Vet. Now there has been a shortage in getting such syringes, and we looked up online and came across a couple. If anybody has experience buying them for insulin purposes, I could use some help and advice.

Hi Robert and Sach!

I'm a nurse, mom to a Lab, and have had two kitties who were diabetic; lots of experience! My Mollie, who left for the Rainbow Bridge a bit ago, was my last diabetic kitty. At that time (a year ago or so) I had no trouble buying insulin syringes from my local Rite Aid pharmacy (with vet's Rx). But that was pre-pandemic You're having difficulty buying them now? Have you tried more than one pharmacy? Just wondering...Didn't the syringes come with the needle attached? I would buy a box of 100 insulin syringes with needles attached. I'll PM you more.
    Love to Sach! How is he doing on the insulin?

Sandra

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Oh! What type of insulin is Sach on? I checked 1-800-PetMeds and Chewy and they both have insulin syringes available, but what type depends on the type of insulin Sach is on! (My kitties were on Lantus) Are you able to call your vet for confirmation on what type of syringe (U-40 or U-100) is appropriate?

https://www.1800petmeds.com/Insulin+...prod12420.html
    https://www.chewy.com/s?query=insuli...submit-button=

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

It`s so awfull to see how suffer helpless dogs((