MY pets are a never ending source of embarrassment to me.

We adopted two dogs and they both seem to be pretty normal.....sometimes.

Bringing them home was an experience.

They picked up on the normal 'pet things'.

Like going potty outdoors, favorite toys, letting us know when they need to go out......

but they also have small idiosyncrasies that are kinda funny.

One of the dogs snores and follows me all around the house. NO MATTER WHAT. He also is stauchly anti-trick. I have tried to teach him how to shake hands and he just refuses!

The other dog is a more interesting study - My wife told me that it would be really hard to teach him anything -he is my wild child - but he knows some basic tricks, Sit, high five, up and back up.......

Not a real meNSA member, but he can be trained?

--------------

MY HUGEST BIGGEST peeve is his wanting to go outdoors.

He will do outdoors at a drop of a hat.

He flies out the door and makes a loop of the back yard - squirrels are his Achilles heel and love to be out in the rain (UGH)...For the first few months I had to literally stand at the backdoor - and in some instances walk out to try to coax him back in, otherwise?

----------

Both the dogs have nicknames, The Evil One/Terrorist and The Other One.

The E.O. is especially nutty.

The Other One will go out doors, "doo' his business, then immediately come to the back door and will bark to be let in.

The EVIL One needs a little more time to do his business - HE has perfected the art of running around and will only answer nature's call when i call him back in.

Otherwise, he stays out doors until the wants to come in.

This is where the problems start?

The Other One goes out, does his business and barks at the door to be let in.

The Evil One dawdles (love that word) and comes in at his own leisure....

But the Evil One has his own way to let me know that it's time?

------------------------------

The Evil One sits near the door and begins to cry.....Not a barking cry, it's a "HELP, MY foot is caught in a bear trap'" Kind of cry.

The first time I thought the dog was hurt or something (A squirrel maybe?) had attacked him!

Nope, got to the door and there he is, on the mat looking at me as if to say, "Why did you leave me out here?)

----------------

Yesterday, as I was leaving the house, I stopped to talk to my neighbor lady and her pups began to bark at me....

We began to talk and she commented on how cute the Other One was and I told her that the Evil One was the headache of the house.

Our conversation drifted to the barking and I told her to disregard the crying dog, he makes sounds like he is being beaten when he wants to come in.

I was hoping she would say that she DIDN'T hear the ruckus but she smiled and said, "Yes, I hear him when he does that....

I laughed and asked her to NOT call animal control on us!

She laughed and told me that it was OK, she understood.

----

Of course, I still RUN to the door when the dog start alerting the neighbors - in the most unflattering way - that his owners have left him outdoors to fend for himself....and I pray that no one hears this and actually believes the dogs are being abused.

I do admonish him and remind him when I open the door that he is loved and has a nice home to live in, but for some strange reason he has his own agenda.

Sometimes i get the feeling that I am the one being abused!