Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Random thoughts in the Dog House

Random thoughts in the Dog House

I'm putting this in the Dog House because I know everyone might not agree with me. I'm one of those "why can't we all just get along" types and feeling pretty hopeless right now.

I'm shaken by the death of Mr. Floyd up in Minnesota and the protests that turned ugly here in Chicago. There was a shooting at the shopping center where I hung out in high school with friends, and also had my first paying job ($3 an hour, 1984). The governor and the mayor of Chicago are doing what they can. I wonder if part of the problem was that everyone had sheltered in place since mid-March. This was like shaking a pop bottle and taking off the cap, things just blew up. I also wonder if there will be a spike in COVID cases in 2-3 weeks because the people at the protests were definitely not six feet apart and not all masked. They broke the windows of Macy's (formerly Marshall Field's) on State Street, which is a Chicago landmark. I've had a pretty sheltered life, except for the times I've worked in downtown Chicago with people of different races and ethnicities. But I'm a nurse, so every life matters to me. Whether you're white, black, brown, or orange with purple stripes I'm still going to care for you and care about you. That's all I got, I just don't know what else to say.

Thanks,
    Elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Sending you hugs, Elyse. This is definitely more like a grain silo that rain got into, slowly and silently building up compression and fumes until it finally explodes. Such long, systemic oppression, and the quarantining in place certainly has not helped. The media and the politicians covering and fueling and glorifying hated are exacerbating, not helping solve it.

Sending you hugs, and to any who need them, too.
    I've Been Frosted

Most of the idiots on the street were NOT protestors.

I laugh when I see the new reports of the 'peaceful demonstrations' (they really put the demon in the word).

Go back and look at the reporting - one guy is standing in front of a building on fire and looking into the camera while saying something stupid like "It's a relatively peaceful protest".

When that first window is broken, that first line is sprayed from a can on a building and that first brick is thrown?

It's a riot, civil disturbance, melee.

Let's kinda call it what it is?

Idiots get sprayed with tear gas because they are throwing rocks and bottles at the cops and they start to cry about being doused with 'chemical agents' and start to call it a 'civil rights violation'. Seriously? If you are acting civil, you wouldn't get gassed?

Chicago turned loose a bunch of protestors who were arrested without bail and no charges filed.

They will laugh about this and probably go back to chi town should another 'civil disobedience' action break out I mean, you aren't going to jail or be charged....why not?

People are shocked when store owners show up on the roofs and in front of the stores with long arms...How could anyone do something like that?

Hint, it's to protect their hard work and life investment.

Those same people that do not want private citizens to own guns and want to defund the police - they start to cry foul and want those same cops to show up and do some thing, anything to people protecting their livelihood.

-------------

There was a basketball player/idiot who was on social media telling people to go out and protest, loot and burn the town down.

A few days later he was back on social media crying that the looters were outside of his building and should go back to their neighborhoods and destroy that. Leave him alone!

He's probably anti-cop, but will be on the phone crying to the dispatcher to get someone (most likely the same cops he hates) to protect him and his home?

---------------

Today I went to Fed Ex a package at Walgreen's - I could throw a rock about three good throws to hit the building - only to find that it had been looted. I had to drive about 7 miles to the next open store. I kept thinking about all the people who were screwed because they could not get a prescription or get one filled.

I went to get my hair cut and the woman who runs the place says that they were at her buidling trying to get in, she saw them on CCTV called the cops and turns out that they were the idiots that broke into the Walgreen's.

The Kroger in the west end was looted, the newspaper wrote that baby supplies and booze were mostly taken, prescriptions were strewn across the parking lot. People of the community were there at 4 a,m. to clean up the trash. At least the babies were fed and people got drunk.

And people wonder why you have to get a sales associate to unlock the baby formula so it can be purchased. You can't afford formula, so why have kids?

In another year or so the politicians will hold some kind of memorial for the event and take the mic and complain about the businesses that close,, never get rebuilt and move out of the area......I feel sorry for the people that have to take a bus across town to buy groceries, but don't feel too bad for too long. It's the dishonesty and them blaming the big businesses and capitalism for their failures and the lack of civic pride.

--------------------

Lastly?

I have seen people walking their dogs amongst the teargas, broken bottles and crap in the street like they were out for a walk in the park.

I would have loved to have been there and seen that in person, I would have literally gone over and beat the living ---- out of them and taken the dogs away.

there was another video of some (fill in your own verbiage here) holding a white dog by the scruff of it's neck, over his head and waving it around like it was some kind of was prize.

That says quite a bit for that man and the reason that I don't feel badly for the jack asses who are out on the streets acting like morons.

-------------------------

People want to be treated just like everyone else, but fail to realize that they need to people in the middle, I am 100% positive that no one wants to be taken advantage of, and you know?

The politicians and media don't want people to feel badly about their world but refuse to remind them of how they look by making up code words or ignoring facts.

Growing up my parents instilled into my sibs and me the concept of "verguenza' - shame.

MY mom would constantly tell us to tener poca verguenza - have a little shame.

it is a lost and strange trait to many people, You will know who they are because they show up on the radar with shrugged shoulders and their palms facing up while the repeat "WHAT DID I DO?"

Over and out.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    I'm putting this in the Dog House because I know everyone might not agree with me. I'm one of those "why can't we all just get along" types and feeling pretty hopeless right now.

I'm shaken by the death of Mr. Floyd up in Minnesota and the protests that turned ugly here in Chicago. There was a shooting at the shopping center where I hung out in high school with friends, and also had my first paying job ($3 an hour, 1984). The governor and the mayor of Chicago are doing what they can. I wonder if part of the problem was that everyone had sheltered in place since mid-March. This was like shaking a pop bottle and taking off the cap, things just blew up. I also wonder if there will be a spike in COVID cases in 2-3 weeks because the people at the protests were definitely not six feet apart and not all masked. They broke the windows of Macy's (formerly Marshall Field's) on State Street, which is a Chicago landmark. I've had a pretty sheltered life, except for the times I've worked in downtown Chicago with people of different races and ethnicities. But I'm a nurse, so every life matters to me. Whether you're white, black, brown, or orange with purple stripes I'm still going to care for you and care about you. That's all I got, I just don't know what else to say.

Thanks,
    Elyse

thanks for being there for your patients.

I was glad to see people that finally realized how important our health care workers really are.

i have known many during the time I worked in health care and even now I make it a point to go out of my way to be a 'good patient' when i need them.

----------------------

One thing that REALLY REALLY ticked me off was this idea of "sheltering at home".

When I started working it was Legionnaire's disease, then AIDS/HIV, then Lyme, Hanta virus, West Nile and the heart break of psoriasis - just kidding.

When the illness first showed up on the radar, I was skeptical at the dire warnings. I was expecting people to be dropping dead in the streets and other walking around saying they wanted brains to eat?

I had to laugh at the constant change in direction. It's nothing, it's something, IT'S HUGE.........Well, maybe not?

MY peeve with telling people to stay at home and to use masks and gloves when they went out made it impossible for hospitals and workers to get PPE.

When I went to the store, I noticed that the people who were gloved and masked were the biggest morons on the planet, They had no qualms about brushing past you or standing next to you if you stopped to look at stuff on the shelf - they were pretty much acting as if they were invincible.

So as we slowly opened the world up again? There were all the rules to follow and the group who just didn't care. I covered up my face because i don't want to be that person that gets yelled at and it's only for a minute or however long I am in the store - I do the ninja mask thing and find out that people find that to be kinda scary - they move away rather quickly.

Much like you concerns and to my amusement was the events of the past weeks?

First we all had to stay indoors and limit our activity. You were a monster if you stayed outdoors but, with all the protests, the same idiot politicians are giving their blessings to go out and protest/loot/vandalize as long as you socially distance and cover your face.

As I read your post, I felt kinda badly because I am really interested in what the landscape is in two weeks - how many people are going to get sick from running about with the other idiots - to the HCPs that are going to be burdened on account of their stupidity.

I hope it's a false alarm and the dire predictions are poopoo, But when you have people acting like idiots?

Everything goes out the window.

Best wishes to you, keep your chin up and remember that in life we are pushed to be the best we can be.

And you know when that time comes because you can sit back, take a breath and say, "Well, THAT was interesting?"

I got to have lunch outside yesterday at a sit-down restaurant. It was a lovely day, not too hot or humid. I met up with a friend I hadn't seen since the shelter-in-place order went into effect. The case counts in Illinois are down overall, but there were many people out at the demonstrations so we'll have to see what happens with that. Still, it was a nice visit in the "phase 3" process.

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Blog Entries
    Mia is feeling so much better. Five days at the vet and 1200 bucks later, they don't know what was wrong with her. The best they can figure is poisoning. No way. Maybe she ate a freaky insect on the balcony??. Anyway, what's up with Trump. Is he or is he not... the biggest douchebag in the entire world? Had to get that out 👍🏿❤️😘🌹😬xoxoox

Blog Entries
    🤜🏻🤛

Quote Originally Posted by mon View Post
    Mia is feeling so much better. Five days at the vet and 1200 bucks later, they don't know what was wrong with her. The best they can figure is poisoning. No way. Maybe she ate a freaky insect on the balcony??. Anyway, what's up with Trump. Is he or is he not... the biggest douchebag in the entire world? Had to get that out ❤️xoxoox
    He is.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    He is.
    Yep!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Blog Entries
    Thank you. I just needed confirmation. Every time I see him and hear him...I feel like I'm on a reallly, really bad acid trip.

You aren't the only one.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

The word Doushebag is too nice to describe him. I can think of some juicier words

Question. I was in the supermarket yesterday, the one where I shop most often. They have put signs on the floor showing the new one-way aisle configuration. I stepped out of the way of a young man who was coming out of an aisle the wrong way. He was with another young guy and neither of them were wearing masks. I excused myself and kept going. They were probably half my age, old enough to understand the rules about masking. They walked right past a store employee who said and did nothing. Should I have spoken up? I'm pretty much a "let's all get along" type, but there's a big sign on the door that says you're to have a face covering on when you enter the store. It's nagging at me today. What would I have lost by saying something? They might have cursed me out, might have laughed and walked away. I wish I had been obnoxiously loud, because they were clearly in the wrong. I did write a comment to the store on social media because of the store employee's inaction. Yes, a mask is inconvenient on a hot and humid day, but I really don't want to get sick.

Thanks--
    Elyse

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Question. I was in the supermarket yesterday, the one where I shop most often. They have put signs on the floor showing the new one-way aisle configuration. I stepped out of the way of a young man who was coming out of an aisle the wrong way. He was with another young guy and neither of them were wearing masks. I excused myself and kept going. They were probably half my age, old enough to understand the rules about masking. They walked right past a store employee who said and did nothing. Should I have spoken up? I'm pretty much a "let's all get along" type, but there's a big sign on the door that says you're to have a face covering on when you enter the store. It's nagging at me today. What would I have lost by saying something? They might have cursed me out, might have laughed and walked away. I wish I had been obnoxiously loud, because they were clearly in the wrong. I did write a comment to the store on social media because of the store employee's inaction. Yes, a mask is inconvenient on a hot and humid day, but I really don't want to get sick.

Thanks--
    Elyse

I would definitely have quietly said something, not made a big deal, but mentioned it. They may not have noticed the signs, who knows?
    The masks - or lack thereof - is trickier to address.
    I've Been Frosted

Blog Entries
    You did fine. Shouldn't second guess your instincts, I reckon they knew better. Most people can read at their age and some are not worth trying to intelligently communicate with. Sometimes you can just tell when it will almost certainly will be a waste of time. It's a shame a lot of folks have no regard for other people's health and well being. It's sad, jerks.