Thread: Galaxy bats her paw in the water bowls

Galaxy bats her paw in the water bowls

I think she does this to check the bowl out before she has a drink.

Whatever she's been walking on that sticks to her paw gets into the bowl. I replace the water.

Just the last couple of days.. it looks like she's done it right after using the litter box, and a LOT of the sand is in the water on the bottom of the bowl. I have to dump it and refresh it.

Any ideas why this might suddenly have started up so much more so, and what I might do about it?

Thanks very much!

Pat
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Perhaps she just wants to clean her paws. Have you tried putting another bowl of water somewhere? Then, you could find out if she drinks from one and cleans her paws in the other. Or perhaps cats just don't care about clean water. Fister loved to drink from puddles in the yard when it was raining.

Let us know how it goes.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Thanks, Randi. I have two water bowls out, one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom. They've been in those same places for years. I change the water every day. This is quite new behavior from Galaxy.

She has gotten them both dirty in the last few days, one bowl one day, the other or the same another day.

As soon as I see that, I dump the bowlful and clean the bowl and put in fresh.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Idea

I had this issue, with junk in the water bowl, and I replaced them with a plug in waterer that has a filter in it, and a large bottom to it where the water is stored. I empty it and refill it about 2xs a week. The filters are not expensive and should be changed every month. It helped with keeping the water clean and nice for the cats to drink from, and they like the little flower spout on top where the water pour out of on all the petals of the flower. I'll post a link for what I bought on Amazon below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...S3GHZXY2&psc=1

That's amazing! Thanks, Jennie!

Galaxy and Pat (and Sparkler too, of course)
    Death thought about it.

My cat also use to do this, I think she maybe couldn't see the water in the bowl or she didn't like her whiskers touching the sides of the bowl. She would also push and tip over the water bowl. I ended up getting her a water fountain with fresh flowing water constantly, she absolutely loves it.