Thread: Oscar

Oscar

Oscar rarely makes the health news, and at least this is minor, so far.

In the last couple of months I noticed he truly wanted to eat more often (as opposed to, "Mom, you're in the kitchen so it's food time for me! ) and then last week his pee biscuits got a bit bigger. He's lost about .88 of a pound in the last year. He is not TOO thin but I have been giving him extra treats and second helpings to keep his weight from dropping too much.

I was thinking both thyroid and kidneys so I made an appointment for blood work to be done. I had to take him back a second time as they hadn't run the thyroid level.

Thyroid is normal, kidney values are slightly elevated. No protein in the urine, which is a very good sign! He can stay on the same food at this point.

He will be taking a supplement called Semintra. It supports the kidneys. At the age of 18, Oscar is doing well, I'd say. The off-ramp is down the highway but it's not in sight yet. I'll keep you posted.

For anyone interested here is a link to the supplement. It reduces the amount of protein the kidneys secrete in chronic kidney disease. It says "new"; that was 2014 in the U.S.

https://www.boehringer-ingelheim.ca/...eim-canada-ltd
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Relatively good news, glad he is holding steady!
    I've Been Frosted

That's good that you had Oscar checked out, Candace. I'm glad to hear he's doing well, considering age and all!

Sending loads of loving good wishes to Oscar and you all!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Glad Oscar is doing well. Sending lots of love.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

I put his first dose in his food and he gobbled it up! He gets to stay on his regular food for now.

I'm trying to remember why cats with kidney troubles get hungry more often than usual?

Anyone?

I am glad that Oscar's bloodwork was mostly normal. At least he doesn't have to eat the dreaded kidney diet yet. Most kitties hate it.
    Keep on going, Oscar!
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    I put his first dose in his food and he gobbled it up! He gets to stay on his regular food for now.

I'm trying to remember why cats with kidney troubles get hungry more often than usual?

Anyone?
    I am not sure, but my theory is that they eat well as long as their kidney disease is well managed. Once it advances, their appetite will decrease.
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

I don't know how fast the stuff works but Oscar didn't clean out his bowl this morning! He also didn't take a trip to the litter box and then come back to eat a bit more.

Anyway, he's a happy boy and I hope he sticks around for at least several more years.

Good work Oscar stays safe and well.

Glad Oscar is continuing to do well.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21