Thread: Dry kitten food

Dry kitten food

I'm wondering if I should stay with Iams kitten food or buy something else for the 6 month old pussy cat I just adopted. He does not seem to be a fussy eater.
    So, what ever I put in his bowl he will eat. Vet suggested cation in regard to over feeding, with my maybe kitty getting over weight. I have never had a pet get
    over weight.

Usually the problem was gettin' em to eat. Anyway, I'm looking at Purina one, Meow Mix, Special Kitty & Hills Science (all kitten). Maybe others as well. I wanna
    give my little guy what's best for him.

Iams kitten food is not a bad choice, but Iams has been linked to obesity problems in pets. Maybe your vet was referring to that.
    I have always raised my kittens on Purina, and they did great, and, like you, I have never had an overweight cat.
    Now they're are all seniors, and they're eating Purina One dry and canned Fancy Feast, except my 18 yr old who's on a kidney diet.
    It's hard to overfeed a kitten since they are so active.
    I guess your kitten is neutered. This slows down their metabolism, and overfeeding can make them overweight.
    Do you free-feed, or have set meal times?
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

I free feed my kitty cat.

Once you transition him to adult food, you might want to change to set meal times.
    Other than the possible inconvenience factor, it has only advantages.
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

Yes, giving him set amounts of food at set times of the day is the best way to keep him from getting overweight!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery