Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Liquid Problems...

More Liquid Problems...

I came home this evening after being away about 4 hours (regular Wednesday evening visit with my sister to watch "Midsomer Murders"), and found a puddle in the middle of the shower curtain on the bed (and am I glad I've left the shower curtain there!)....

AND.. the litterbox Galaxy usually uses in the living room... there was liquid on the newspaper under and around it. She overshot the box? or wasn't aiming very carefully? (I've had newspaper under the litterboxes... and under the paper some heavy plastic sheeting.. Galaxy is not the first kitty I've ever known to have Pee Issues.)

She's been getting some CD Stress food, wet and dry, the last few days, which I gather is the Hills version of the SO Calm type food. There hadn't been any inappropriate peepee for quite a while now, and I was hoping perhaps the food was making a difference. Sigh..

Maybe it will be Prozac time after all... (I may have to ask for some for myself, too!)

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

No problems since Galaxy's last vet visit until now? And they did not find any physical reason, including kidney issues?
    It might be time for meds, like you said. Please don't give up, this can take a while to resolve!
    Hugs to you and the kitties.
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

Oh no! Such a frustrating problem. Gosh, maybe it is time to try some medication. But don't give up. Just so strange, this suddenly happening absent any health issues. Hang in there! Love and hugs to you and the girls!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Both yesterday and today Galaxy peed outside the box. In fact, she did it this evening while I was right here. I didn't notice her until I heard her sort of scraping at the side of the litter box.. And I saw the newspapers on the floor (all new ones since yesterday's pee event) that had gotten peed on. I replaced all those, again. I also put one of the other litterboxes in its place. Easier to get into, maybe she'll like that better.

I talked to the vet earlier today about yesterday's episode. We're going to try some Prozac. I don't know, maybe the special food just hasn't had enough time for her to get used to it and not do this. He said the Prozac may need a bit of time before it makes a difference, too.

I also picked up some non-clay litter to try.. not on her "main" litter box, the vet advised, but one in another location that she could check out and try if so inclined. I haven't set all that up yet.

Please send some good wishes and healing energies and anything else you can think of for Galaxy to stop doing this!

Thank you!
    Pat and Galaxy, and Sparkler, too
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Good wishes and healing energy on the way to Galaxy. Good luck.

Pat, I hope the new food or the Prozac will help, or the new litter. Did you check the one I mentioned earlier? Some cats like covered litter boxes and some hate them - and also don't like plastic inside. It it also much easier without.

Best of luck... and hugs.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Pat, I wish there was an easy solution. Do you know why Galaxy was surrendered to the shelter?
    Be prepared that the Prozac may not help at all, but there are other medications if this happens.
    Another though: Since Galaxy is a senior kitty, she probably has arthritis, and she might be painful. Put her on a joint supplement, Cosequin for cats. It is also used for bladder inflammation in cats. It's worth a try.

Best wishes to you, Galaxy and Sparkler!

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Pat, I hope the new food or the Prozac will help, or the new litter. Did you check the one I mentioned earlier? Some cats like covered litter boxes and some hate them - and also don't like plastic inside. It it also much easier without.

Best of luck... and hugs.
    Thanks, Randi. I got a couple of different kinds of the non-clay litter.. Ecolife clumping litter, made from "a special blend of corn and wheat," and Tidy Cats Pure Nature Clumping Litter, made of Cedar, Pine, and Corn.

I emptied the clay litter from the one litter box. I cleaned that out with water and bleach, and now I'm waiting for it to dry so I can try one of those new litters.

Any suggestions which might be better, anyone?

Thanks, from Galaxy and Sparkler and me!
    Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by cats4ever View Post
    Pat, I wish there was an easy solution. Do you know why Galaxy was surrendered to the shelter?
    Be prepared that the Prozac may not help at all, but there are other medications if this happens.
    Another though: Since Galaxy is a senior kitty, she probably has arthritis, and she might be painful. Put her on a joint supplement, Cosequin for cats. It is also used for bladder inflammation in cats. It's worth a try.

Best wishes to you, Galaxy and Sparkler!
    Thanks, Heidi!

I picked up the Prozac last night, and I just gave Galaxy her first dose about an hour ago. It's scheduled 1/2 tab by mouth every 24 hours.

I mixed it in with some of the Market Fresh Chicken and Turkey Recipe kibble that she used to eat and liked before she got switched to the CD. She gobbled it all down speedily, including the pill!

I think I'll use Pill Pockets next.. I don't know that I can depend on her eating the pill with the kibble.

A couple of hours ago Galaxy peed on the paper in front of the litter box again, while I was right there. And again, I didn't realize what was happening until I picked up on her scratching the paper and box side to "bury" it.

So is she doing this deliberately to get my attention... ???

I don't know the exact story of why she was surrendered to the shelter. I just e-mailed the shelter owner asking about that.

I had the idea that she had had one owner for a long time, that person died, and she kind of bounced around here and there until she wound up at the shelter. It is a nice, small, local no-kill shelter, and I've known it and the owner/founder for a long time.

Thanks, everyone!
    Death thought about it.

Cats usually do things other than peeing inappropriately to get our attention. Galaxy is trying to tell you something, and that something is very difficult to find.
    Make sure that you provide a litter box with a very low entry, in case she does have arthritis.
    Years ago, when Monroe was still around, I made a litterbox out of a large storage box with high walls, because he would pee standing up. It's basically a "walk-in" box, and the cats love it.

Name:  box.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  59.2 KB

I put a litter box with a much lower entry than the box that had been there. I hope that will work out better for her!

I will pick up some Cosequin tomorrow.

Thanks, Heidi.

Last edited by phesina; 11-14-2019 at 05:41 PM.
    Death thought about it.

Well, let's see now, things have been happening..

I gave her her first dose of Prozac yesterday, another today. She's to get it one dose (1/2 10 mg tab) by mouth every 24 hours.

And I set up one of the litter boxes with some non-clay litter.. not the one she usually uses but the one next to my bed. I just now picked her up (which she does not like, and she growled), and took her and set her down in the box with the new litter. She growled again and jumped right out and dashed off. I hope she at least knows it's there now and decides to give it a try.

I picked up a jar of Dr. Elsey's ULTRA Litter Attractant, featuring Cat Attract. (Would I do better if I can find the Cat Attract stuff itself to put in the litter? They didn't have it at the two stores I went to today.)

I also got some Cosequin (haven't tried it on her yet; instructions say 1 capsule sprinkled on food) and some treats with "6 beneficial ingredients for HIP + JOINT." I did give her a few of those, which she liked.

She hasn't gone again on my bed or outside her favorite litter box.

One step at a time, or something...

Thanks for suggestions and encouragement from Galaxy and me (and Sparkler too, of course)!

Last edited by phesina; 11-15-2019 at 08:50 PM.
    Death thought about it.

Pat, you are such a great mom to your kitties! You will get it all straightened out.
    I am not familiar with the cat attract stuff. I'm glad that so far you have not found any more puddles.
    Hugs and headbumpies to you and your kitties!

Well, I found that Sparkler likes the new non-clay litter!

Death thought about it.

Pat, I hope you won't have to give Galaxy Prozac for long. In any case, you have to find out what it is that helps (if it does help).

I'm glad to hear Sparkler likes the new litter, hopefully Galaxy will, too - and no peeing on your bed or outside the litterbox.

Sending good thoughts and hugs to you all.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.