Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Galaxy is peeing on my bed!

HELP! Galaxy is peeing on my bed!

This is a new thing..

A few days ago, I shut both cats in the bedroom because the apartment maintenance people were coming to do some work. When I got home, I found that Galaxy had peed on one spot on the bed and pooped on another. I cleaned that up, figured it was a one-off because of the disruption to their routine.

Last night when I was about to go to bed, I found the sheets and quilt damp at my end. I wound up changing the sheets and switching the quilt down to the other end, so I could get to sleep.

This afternoon I had covered up the top end of the bedding with a towel, but when I was about to go to bed about 15 minutes ago, I found another damp spot on the quilt. I don't have a substitute for the quilt, so I sprayed the area with Nature's Miracle and covered it above and below with towels.

This is totally new behavior for Galaxy. She has never had any problems with litter-box habits or use.

I don't know what to do about this! Do any of you have any ideas?

Thanks VERY much!

from Pat and Sparkler and, yes, Galaxy
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Pat, I'm sorry about Galaxy's issue.
    This can be a complex problem.
    First, you need to go to vet to rule out any physical reason like a urinary tract infection. If Galaxy is cleared of that, it will be, most likely, a behavioral issue, which, unfortunately, is more difficult to treat than an infection.
    Was the pooping accident a one-time occurrence? How do you know it was Galaxy, did you see her doing it?
    Last edited by cats4ever; 09-08-2019 at 01:08 PM.
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

Thanks, Heidi. Yes, a call to the vet is the first order of business tomorrow. I will be so relieved if it is a physical problem, because then it can be treated!

The poop was just the one time. The peeing has happened a couple more times since then. It seems to be starting to be a regular occurrence, which I want to stop before it does become regular.

I know it's Galaxy because Sparkler isn't really physically capable of hauling herself up onto the bed and doing all that, then getting back down again. I've had Sparkler since she was a kitten, some twelve years, and she's never done anything like this.

For that matter, I've had Galaxy since just before last Christmas, and she's never done anything like this before.

I've kept her shut out of the bedroom so far today.

This morning I changed the litterbox Galaxy usually uses in the living room for a clean one. She's peed in that since I put it there. I washed out the other with bleach. Maybe I should put one next to the bed? There's already another litterbox in the bedroom, but I wonder if Galaxy thinks that one is Sparkler's.

Thanks, from Galaxy and Sparkler and me....
    Last edited by phesina; 09-08-2019 at 04:53 PM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

I think that's a good idea putting a litterbox next to the bed.
    Even though behavioral issues are harder to treat, it's not hopeless, but a lot of people aren't patient enough.
    When Miss Kitty was 4 years old (14 years ago), she started peeing outside the litterbox. it was behavioral. Since then, she has been on antidepressants. It took a while to find one that was working for her, but I did, and now she has been on fluoxetine (Prozac) for many years, and she's doing great!
    Good luck at the vet tomorrow!

Thanks, Heidi, from Galaxy and me! (And Sparkler, too, of course.)

I'll keep you posted...

Death thought about it.

I'm going to let Galaxy come in the bedroom overnight. I don't think she'd pee on the bedding by the pillows when I'm sleeping there!

(I hope not, anyway .)

I took her in and showed her the new litterbox next to the bed.

Oh, and Sparkler has been alone in there all day. On the off-chance it has been her rather than Galaxy, she didn't do any!

Death thought about it.

I hope it is an isolated thing. Fingers crossed for vet visit!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Good luck at the vet.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Good luck at the Vet Pat. Hope this issue will be resolved fast.

Thanks, Elyse and Nancy and Prathima, from Galaxy and me!

Death thought about it.

I'm so sorry this is happening. I think it is because you shut both cats in the bedroom when the maintenance people were there. Galaxy simply didn't want her daily life interfered with, and after she had peed once on your bed she thought... oh, this works well. Ugh! Perhaps she didn't want to use Sparkler's litter box for some reason. I really hope putting an extra litter box for her will solve the problem, but better yet, is if she goes back to peeing in her own outside the bedroom.

If none of it works, you could put plastic over the bed when you're not there, but that's no fun.

Best of luck solving it!
    Give her some extra loving, too.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Galaxy's regular vet was booked up until Wednesday, so I took her to the Emergency Vets. Suspected but not definite urinary tract infection or feline interstitial cystitis, or behavioral issue. Red blood cells in urine. Did bloodwork, will call with results later.

While I was in the exam room waiting for the vet to come in, I took Galaxy onto my lap... and the next thing I knew, there was liquid running down onto my lap! Some of it wound up on the floor. The assistant took a syringe-full of that to test, but since it wasn't a clean specimen, there were limits to what it would show.

They gave her a Convenia antibiotic shot there and three Onsior tablets to give her, first given at hospital, then 24 hours apart. They are sending their report to the regular vets, and I should follow up with them.

from Galaxy and me
    Death thought about it.

The accident in your lap is probably an indication that there is a physical reason. Poor Galaxy! She probably felt really uncomfortable when it happened.
    I hope that her bloodwork will be ok, and that the medications will help, and they should, if it is truly an infection.
    One more thing: Your vet should have worked Galaxy in since she is sick! Just saying...

Best wishes, from my kitties as well!

Awww, Galaxy! I hope the Convenia works well, and you feel better very soon! xoxo

Thank you, Heidi and Elyse!

Death thought about it.