Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olive's heart

Olive's heart

8 years ago, Olive's vet heard a heart murmur on a routine exam. She was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy. Since then, she has been on Atenolol, once daily, like clockwork, and her heart murmur disappeared.
    I took her to work today for vaccines, and the vet heard a heart murmur for the first time since her diagnosis. This could mean the disease is progressing.
    She has been scheduled for an echo cardiogram, but not until October, because they are totally booked. I hope Olive will be ok until then.
    Olive never showed any signs of heart disease, and she has always been a happy-go-lucky kitty.
    I hope that whatever the ECG shows can be treated with medications.
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

We are sending love and good wishes and warm energies to sweet Olive and you, Heidi, along with our hopes that the ECG will give promising results.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Thank you, Pat!

Sending prayers and positive thoughts to you and Olive!
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Sending healing thoughts to Olive.

Dear Olive, I pray that your heart murmur is not getting worse or progressing in the wrong direction. It would be nice if there was a cancellation and you got to have the ECG sooner than October. I had my ECG last week, it's a requirement for the medication they are giving me for my cancer. Just keep enjoying life sweetie pie.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Dearest Olive, I hope you stay healthy and happy until you can get the echocardiogram. You are very loved and that will see you through!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thank you, everybody!
    I just reviewed the hospital where Olive has her appointment. The reviews are horrific! They are mostly 1-star, and all those people have horror stories to tell.
    I don't think I will go there!
    Olive's vet also made a referral to North Carolina State University, that's where she graduated. It's a 2-hour drive from my house to get there, but they are terrific.
    So I called, and they are booked out until February 6. Olive might not be alive by then. The other option would be to go there on an emergency basis, but the cost would be quiet a bit more.
    We have to find something else soon, I'm just very worried about Olive.
    But I trust the vet that she will come up with something.

If you take her there on an emergency basis, I'll chip in toward the extra cost!

We're sending good wishes and hopes and prayers that the vet will come up with something good for sweet Olive.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Pat, I really, really appreciate that, but I could never accept that!
    There are a couple more specialty hospitals the vet can check into. I know she will do whatever it takes, she's also a friend.
    Thanks again for the offer, you are so sweet!
    Olive wants to thank everybody for their support!
    Name:  oliheart.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  48.7 KB

I'm so glad your vet is making the extra effort for Olive and for you! Fingers crossed!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    We are sending love and good wishes and warm energies to sweet Olive and you, Heidi, along with our hopes that the ECG will give promising results.

That goes for me too! And i'll be here in case the extra cost is very high.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    That goes for me too! And i'll be here in case the extra cost is very high.
    Thank you, Elyse for the offer!
    Again, I could never accept. Everybody's money is hard-earned, and we need to work with it responsibly.
    I called another referral hospital today to check when they have appointments available. The receptionist said "We are booked until August (I almost said "great), then she said "2020"!
    I couldn't believe it, a year out. How do animals get the needed treatment in time if they have to wait for one year?
    Now my options are a place in the North Carolina mountains, a 3-4 hour drive, or out-of-state, in Virginia.
    For now I have decided to keep my October appointment. Maybe something else will come along.
    Again, I want to thank everybody for their kindness!

Oh Heidi, I'm so sorry to hear this. I so hope she will be alright until she get the echo cardiogram, and hopefully be treated. It would be nice if someone will cancel their appointment so Olive can get in sooner. And chance your vet will work overtime for her, or does she need to go to a hospital?

Sending lots of comforting thoughts and love for Olive and for you!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Oh Heidi, I'm so sorry to hear this. I so hope she will be alright until she get the echo cardiogram, and hopefully be treated. It would be nice if someone will cancel their appointment so Olive can get in sooner. And chance your vet will work overtime for her, or does she need to go to a hospital?

Sending lots of comforting thoughts and love for Olive and for you!
    Thank you, Randi!
    The echocardiogram is done at a referral hospital and is interpreted by a cardiologist. Olive's veterinarian makes the referral, and then I make the appointment.
    I called another place today. Apparently they have openings as soon as next week, but when I wanted to know the cost, this person said 'there's no real way to get an estimate".
    Seriously? Everybody else told me how much their service is. He was very incompetent, so I called again a little later. I did get an answer, but they require 2 appointments, one for consultation, the other one for the actual echo.
    This is out of the question, because it's a long drive.
    So it's back to square one., the October appointment.