I just adopted a 5 year old retired queen and won't be able to have her spayed until a Staphylococcus chromogenes and Pantoea sp. skin infection on her belly is cleared. And this can't come a moment too soon! I've always managed to have my kittens spayed or neutered at the earliest age possible, and adopted another 5 year old who came already spayed. When I got my first kitten, a female, the breeder warned me that if I don't get her spayed asap she would startle you awake by jumping on your bed screaming. I took that advice to heart, but now I know what she meant. This is my first time experiencing a cat in heat and I am shocked and amazed at the intensity of her desire to mate. My other two cats are concerned also. My 2 year old female is curious and runs to see what's wrong when she starts her yowling. The 4 year old boy pretty much is bored with it all.

She will be spayed as soon as it is confirmed that the staph infection is clear as the vet does not want to open her up if there is a chance of introducing Staph into the wound, no matter how careful they prepare the site. The question is whether I will survive the wait. Please, please, please let be thid be the first and only time I have to go through this! It makes me wonder how anyone other than a breeder could live with an intact female. Surprising how many unwanted litters are born, though I can see someone kicking her out to escape her odd behavior and yowling and "screaming".

She came into heat on Friday (3-4 days ago). Can anyone tell me how long this will last? And how long will the reprieve last until the next one starts?