Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retired queen and my first experience of "in heat". AND LAST!!

Retired queen and my first experience of "in heat". AND LAST!!

I just adopted a 5 year old retired queen and won't be able to have her spayed until a Staphylococcus chromogenes and Pantoea sp. skin infection on her belly is cleared. And this can't come a moment too soon! I've always managed to have my kittens spayed or neutered at the earliest age possible, and adopted another 5 year old who came already spayed. When I got my first kitten, a female, the breeder warned me that if I don't get her spayed asap she would startle you awake by jumping on your bed screaming. I took that advice to heart, but now I know what she meant. This is my first time experiencing a cat in heat and I am shocked and amazed at the intensity of her desire to mate. My other two cats are concerned also. My 2 year old female is curious and runs to see what's wrong when she starts her yowling. The 4 year old boy pretty much is bored with it all.

She will be spayed as soon as it is confirmed that the staph infection is clear as the vet does not want to open her up if there is a chance of introducing Staph into the wound, no matter how careful they prepare the site. The question is whether I will survive the wait. Please, please, please let be thid be the first and only time I have to go through this! It makes me wonder how anyone other than a breeder could live with an intact female. Surprising how many unwanted litters are born, though I can see someone kicking her out to escape her odd behavior and yowling and "screaming".

She came into heat on Friday (3-4 days ago). Can anyone tell me how long this will last? And how long will the reprieve last until the next one starts?

I found an article that should give you all the answers.
    I hope that your kitty's infection will be under control soon, otherwise you will have a cat in heat for quite a while!

Good luck!

https://catappy.com/cats-in-heat-how-long-does-it-last
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

Thanks so much for the link. That was by far the best, concise article explaining a cat's heat cycle. Yikes. So this could last 7-15 days, with only one to three weeks reprieve. From what I've read, it's better and less complicated to do the spay when not in heat. This may work out. She got her Cefovecin (Convenia) shot on 5/21. It's active for 2 weeks. She will be examined in 3 weeks (6/11). I wonder if my vet will want to do another scraping and send it to the lab to confirm if the infection has cleared. If so, I'll schedule the spay as soon as results come in. If her heat lasts 15 days, then there is a chance it will work with her out of heat by her checkup. Well, things will work out one way or the other. I just hate to see her in such agony, as well as my discomfort, and the confusion of my other cats. As I said, I can't imagine anyone other than a breeder keeping an intact female as a pet that is serious about not letting her get pregnant. And as for breeders, especially with multiple females, that's a lot to endure.

Our clinic does in-heat spays routinely, because lots of clients panic when their pet is in heat. I guess they realize then that puppies and kittens are a real possibility.
    We never had any problems with those spays, we just charge an extra fee.

Day 7. Thanks for talking me off the ledge. Panic. Yes, I've got a bit of that, along with shock and awe. Great to know that she can be spayed at the first possible moment, no matter her "condition." As I've watched this extreme mating behavior unfold, I'm still amazed at the intensity. This maybe is another question for another thread, but my question is: can you think of any other species that puts the female in such a frantically intensity of desire to be mated and for such a long period (7-15 days)? It's really easy to understand how almost every unspayed female as early as for months old would NOT have kittens. And we know the math.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Janeway View Post
    Day 7. Thanks for talking me off the ledge. Panic. Yes, I've got a bit of that, along with shock and awe. Great to know that she can be spayed at the first possible moment, no matter her "condition." As I've watched this extreme mating behavior unfold, I'm still amazed at the intensity. This maybe is another question for another thread, but my question is: can you think of any other species that puts the female in such a frantically intensity of desire to be mated and for such a long period (7-15 days)? It's really easy to understand how almost every unspayed female as early as for months old would NOT have kittens. And we know the math.
    Hang in there, you can get through this!
    I've Been Frosted

Update: Well, she's out of heat. However, my (early) neutered 5 year old now knows about sex. I never ever wanted him to even feel the urge, but I guess her incessant calling and posturing finally kicked in that instinct. Towards the end of her heat, I found them lying next to each other and he had thrown his arm her around her shoulders (think shy boy in theater with girl and managed to get his arm around her shoulders. Yes!) How cute. They're friends. Not long after find him straddling her and biting her neck. I separated them, but he's still doing it. This morning I thought I'd ignore it, but about 5 minutes later he's still at it. Any idea if he'll forget this behavior, especially once she's spayed? I wish she'd fight back, but she just lays there. And she's bald, so he's hanging onto just a fold of skin and I'm afraid the skin will get irritated. I'm not sure how often she's been bred, but her chip has migrated to over her shoulder and I can understand why that may be. Run! Also, I'm worried he'll start spraying. What's a mother to do!

I'm glad that your kitty is out of heat.
    Your male cat doesn't have any testosterone left in his body. It went away after he was neutered.
    So his behavior is not sexual in nature. There is a whole array of reasons why he is doing it.
    I found another article for you that might be helpful.
    I have a boy who used to do it every time he sat in my lap. As soon as he started, I would tell him "no", and sat him on the floor. It took a while, but eventually he stopped this behavior.

https://www.ukpets.com/blog/neutered...ns-it-happens/

Once again, the perfect helpful article. Sounds like the best way is to notice when he starts and say no, and distract him. It is so fascinating to see behaviors just pop up out of nowhere. He's never seen that and as it says he has no sex hormones to drive him. I remember how I was amazed when a friend's Lab gave birth (her first and an only dog) how she knew just what to do at birth and then how to move it around from spot to spot. Pure inborn instinct, no aunts or mom dog to show how it's done. Funny that this not the case with human mom's and their first. Thanks again!

Update: Nikita, my sweet little boy, seems to only occasionally indulge in "assaulting" his new sister. Elektra is still out of heat, but it's been two weeks, so it will probably be soon. Last checkup last Monday the rash still evident, so started two weeks on Orbax. Results came back with staphyloccus simulans and a baccilus, so tomorrow she goes to see the kitty dermatologist. Hope we can get to the bottom of this and getting her clear so she can be spayed.

I'm sorry to hear that Elektra's skin infection is still present.
    Do you know if she has been tested for FIV (Feline Immunodeficiency Virus) and FeLV (Feline Leukemia Virus)? They weaken the immune system, and can prevent healing.

Yes, I've thought of that (and worse!) but she was tested when she first arrived in this country from Lithuania. Checking her medical records from that time, they also checked for ringworm. But good news. The dermatologist observed that the bacterial findings were non pathogenic. Hooray! So, she is scheduled for her spay next Wednesday. Right now I'm holding my breath for her coming back into heat. I'd be extremely surprised, but remain hopeful she won't be in a week. If not, we're in for a the show! However, it looks like she'll need a bath once a week. Being bald, I guess the oils collect, dirt and odor. Thankfully, she seems to take it okay. She dries fast!

That sounds great! I hope that all her hair will grow back. I bet she's beautiful even without hair!

Just an update. Elektra has now been spayed and all is right with the world! World peace, we're still working on that. She's turned out to be quite a non verbal cat. She doesn't meow or talk to me. She'll just sit quietly by her bowl until I finally get it (duh). And the only time she talks to the others is right after her bath, just dried off, she'll do a kind of chuckling sound to her now grown baby girl along with some anxious little licks. It's so cute. Well, time will tell if she'll become more vocal. And it's been fun to watch her come into her own in out little family.

Great news, Elektra, you've been spayed! Congratulations.. You're a WOMAN now, A fine, womanly cat who will not be adding to the feline overpopulation problem!

And what a delightful Purrrsonality you have! You've turned out to be quite non-verbal, except right after you've had a bath. That's when you make your chuckling sound to your now-grown baby girl along with some anxious little licks. (I'd love to see and hear that!)

How wonderful the way you've come into your own in your family! You and they all love each other very much, don't you. What a wonderful love-filled home you all share!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery