At about 4 am I heard a loud bang. Something had fallen to the floor or another hard surface. I called Cole's name (Oscar was snuggled under the blankets) and for some reason got up to look for him.

I heard a very light rustling sound and it took me a minute to track it down. I found Cole. He had walked behind my new-to-me computer desk and had walked into the keyboard cable. He obviously kept walking until he turned at the end of the desk and tried to go through two vertical metal bars. He was stuck there! I went to him and pulled him through but he wasn't stuck - the cable was caught around one side of his neck and he couldn't move forward! I removed the cable and carried him to the bed. He was walking slowly, sniffing every single thing. When on bare floor his back feet splayed out somewhat.

They only thing I could think of was some painkiller. I dissolved gabapentin into some warmed evaporated milk. He lapped a bit of it but lost interest; he gave a couple of meows after swallowing it (which he did several times). He'd been completely quiet up til then.

I went back to bed. This morning he was lying on some cardboard underneath a dining room chair. I pureed his food as usual and added another capsule of gabapentin. His appetite was sure back! He finished that and tried to steal Oscar's leftovers as usual.

He then went to my bed and has remained there, having a comfortable nap.

Poor baby! It seems he'll be okay - but how scary for him and me!