Thread: Galaxy update!

Galaxy update!

Galaxy has been settling in quite well. Things seem to be going one step forward, two or three steps back.. (typical cat progress in training her person).

She's a real sweetie! She likes me to pet her around her head and down her sides. She lets me pick her up, but she doesn't stay for long. From time to time when I've been sitting on the couch reading, she's come over and stepped onto my lap, but she doesn't settle down or stay long.

A couple of days ago I was sitting on the couch meditating, when I felt a slight pressure next to me, and then a couple of points of pressure on my lap. I kept my eyes shut but reached over to where I estimated the height, and sure enough it was Galaxy. I kept on with it, watching my breathing and petting her. How's that for reaching a state of nirvana or something?!

Next step is to get so I can pick her up and put her in a carrier. It looks like she's due for getting her vaccinations updated, so I'll need to take her to the vet's. Do any of you you have any suggestions for how best to get her into the carrier?

I have some photos but can't seem to insert them. Karen, if I send them to you, would you please post them for me? Thanks!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Pat, that is progress indeed! She feels more safe around you now and wants some attention, too. Perhaps she is not totally relaxed, but she is well on her way. However, when you put her in a carrier, she may lose her faith in you. Hopefully she has been in one before and know it's only for a little while. I'm sure you know she can feel if you are stressed about it, so try not to be. I often took Fister in the box when he was sleeping, that way he wasn't really aware of what was going on, and he was more relaxed. Still, he complained as soon as the lid was closed.

Which kind of box do you have? For Fister I had one where you lower him down from the top, that was the easiest, but then, he really hated to go anywhere. Some cats are easy to put in a box... you'll soon find out.

Good luck!

I hope to see pictures.
    Last edited by Randi; 02-27-2019 at 12:33 PM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

How awesome that Galaxy is getting comfortable and is seeking attention now.

I keep both Cali and Diego's kennels out, filled with a lovely, soft fleece blanket each. They use them as a place to sleep when they so desire. The other night Cali was in one kennel and Diego wanted her out so he could go in it. Regardless of the other one sitting right there, empty. Just like kids!

Of course, when they are in the kennel and the door is closed it becomes a whole new ball game and the growling, etc. begins very quickly.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Thanks, Randi and Gayle!

I have a soft-side carrier with soft bedding inside it. Right now I've got the top and one of the ends open. Today I got an idea: I put some treats in it, and she went in the open end to get them! I did try closing the end to see if she'd go in the top, but she didn't. We will keep working on this...

Oh, yes, she's been in a carrier before. She was put in mine at the shelter for me to bring her home. Jeanne, the shelter owner, loaded her up, and I think Galaxy fought like a tiger! Before that she'd been to the vet many times and would have gone in carriers on those trips.

from Galaxy and me (and Sparkler, too)
    Last edited by phesina; 02-27-2019 at 09:22 PM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

That's great that Galaxy is settling in so well!
    We wouldn't expect anything less from you and your kitties.
    How is Sparkler holding up?
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

That's wonderful! I hope Galaxy continues to do well with you! How is Miss Sparkler?
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Thanks, Heidi and Elyse! Galaxy is coming along more quickly than I'd thought she might. I shut the end opening of the carrier, and I put some treats in it and then lifted her up into the top opening. That went quite smoothly, and she settled down to eat her treats, then dashed out. So that's going quite well!

She and Sparkler are co-existing, not buddy-buddy but not openly hostile toward each other. I make it a point to give them both plenty of affection.

Death thought about it.

Happy Caturday, Sparkler and Galaxy!

Thank you, Elyse, from us!

I have some new pictures of Galaxy, which I will pass along to Karen to upload. I also will be updating you. She's doing well!

Death thought about it.

Galaxy is making progress; good news!