Thread: Dear cow kitty Sylvester!

Dear cow kitty Sylvester!

My sweet sixteen-year-old girl Alice passed away August 9; that same day, a few blocks from where I lived, a fellow who had owned a "cow cat" named Sylvester for 16 years, died unexpectedly. Neighbors cared for Sylvester, but none could take him; nor could out-of-state family members. So someone posted a plea on the local listserv for help in finding him a home so that he wouldn't have to go to the shelter. I happened to see the notice, made contact and went to meet him the following day. As they say, the rest is history...

I know Sylvester was confused and discombobulated. All he knew for 16 years was his owner and his house. Gone were all his routines, his caregiver, his schedules. For the first couple of months with me, he paced. He snarfed down his food, not knowing if there was more to come. He barely acknowledged my existence. Then, things changed. It was as if he realized he was safe, that I was okay, and there would always be another bowl of food.

These days he is happy to sit on the sofa next to me, let me pet him and on occasion, give me a little lick. He has started to play a bit - not bad for an old man of 16"stopped pacing and will even let me clip his nails. Moreover, he has brought such unexpected joy into my life; after Alice, I was going to take a break in my 40 years of cat ownership. I'm so glad I didn't!
    Hello, sweet senior Sylvester! Happy Cat of the Day!

What a handsome cow-kitty you are! I like your black and white fur, which looks so soft to pet!

Oh my goodness, what a sad loss for you of your first daddy. And what a sad loss for your person of Alice! You needed a home, and your person-to-be knew how to care for a senior kitty. At first you paced and snarfed down your food. Then you realized that you were safe, that your new person is okay, and there will always be more food for you. Welcome home, sweetie kitty!

You have a few things to do each day- spending time on the sofa next to your person, receiving petting and giving an occasional kiss. You play occasionally, and you are okay with a paw-dicure Best of all, you and your person have brought such joy into each other's lives! As it should be!

Happy, happy Cat of the Day to precious Sylvester!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Dearest Sylvester, what an achingly beautiful "cow kitty" you are! That gorgeous black and white pattern would be at home in any pasture! And you have the sweetest face there with those black patches around your eye and nose and those lovely big eyes that are so full of the look of love. Thank you for sharing those great photos with us! I wish I could reach through the screen and over to Alexandria, VA to pet you! I can't, of course, but I know your loving and beloved Purrrson will pet you for me .

And what a heartwarming, uplifting story you have to tell! Your dear sweet original Purrrson passed away the same day your Purrrson-to-be's dear sweet kitty Alice did. Neighbors took care of you but none could keep you. Someone posted a plea on the local listserv for help finding you a new home. Your Purrrson-to-be saw the notice, and "the rest is history.." We thank that dear Purrrson for adopting you and saving your life!

You were very confused at first, having only ever known the one home and owner. We are so glad and grateful to your new Purrrson for giving you the time and space you needed to get used to her/him and your new surroundings and finally realize you were Home! Now you are living a fine life, safe and warm, knowing there is always plenty of love and plenty of food. You enjoy sitting by him/her on the sofa, being petted and sometimes rewarding with a lick. You are playing a bit now and even letting your Purrrson clip your nails! You have brought unexpected joy back into her/his life, and we bet your Angel sister-kitty Alice had something to do with bringing you together! You love each other dearly, don't you. What a wonderful love-filled home you share!

Congratulations, darling Sylvester, on being chosen today's Cat of the Day! We hope you and your dear Purrrson and all your family and friends are enjoying a fine celebration, full of fun and lovies and all your favorite games and treats. We know Alice Angel and all the other Angels are rejoicing with you at the Rainbow Bridge!

Last edited by phesina; 12-05-2018 at 08:52 PM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Sweet Sylvester/1

Hi Sylvester! Happy Cat of the Day!

Oh, what a handsome, most dapper Tuxie boy you are, Sylvester! Love your classic moo cow coloring and markings, and for a senior gent, well, you sure don't look your age!

I was so touched by your human's tribute, your heart-wrenching rescue story. We can only imagine how scared and confused you were, having lost your dad, the only home you had ever known, finding yourself in strange, new surroundings with a new parent. But while it took a bit of time for you to settle in, slowly but surely you came to realize that with this human you would be safe, well fed, and most importantly, well loved! I can't help but believe that it was more than mere serendipity that brought you and your mom, two souls in need of comfort and healing, together. The fact that you were the same age as your beloved predecessor, Alice, at her passing, the very same day your daddy passed away, even more proof that it was destined to be! I'm so happy that you and your mommy found your way to one another, Sylvester, and I hope that you and she will know many, many more happy years of shared loved and companionship!

Moreover, he has brought such unexpected joy into my life; after Alice, I was going to take a break in my 40 years of cat ownership. I'm so glad I didn't!
    And we're glad too!!!

Thanks for the BIG smiles, sweetheart! Reading your mommy's heartfelt tribute warmed me to the core. I hope you're enjoying a very special day of celebration, Sylvester...playing with your toys, taking a nice, long nap and cuddling with your mom on the couch, being loved and pampered to pieces! Lots of love, gentle cuddles and kisses to you, sweet Sylvester, our very special and most deserving Cat of the Day, EVERY day!

SO beautiful!!!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Dear Sylvester, what a handsome boy you are. Your "cow" coat looks so soft, and your face is so sweet and wise looking.
    I am so sorry that your daddy passed away. You were with him for 16 years, and what were the chances that you could start over...but then fate intervened, and your person, who had just lost her/his 16 year old kitty, took you in.
    At first, you didn't know what was happening and if you would be safe, but then you realized that everything would be ok.
    Sylvester, you are a wonderful and deserving senior kitty, and I wish you and your family a great day full of celebration, and many more happy and healthy years together.
    I would also like to thank your mom/dad for adopting a senior cat in need, saving his life.
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

What a handsome kitty you are Sylvester.
    I am so glad you found a home after your daddy died.
    Congrats on being COTD!
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Blog Entries
    I am so happy you and Sly are together now. What a darling and sweet elder COTD! He is very clever too, he figured out you were loving and caring and decided to trust and adore his new companion. Wish you two the very best!