Thread: Cats and Christmas trees

Cats and Christmas trees

Even though there are lots of kitties who will enjoys Christmas trees without messing with them, there is a large number who can't be trusted around them.
    Not to spoil anybody's Christmas spirit, but I want to caution every cat parent to be extra vigilant at Christmas time.
    A few days ago, a cat was brought into the hospital who was found by her mom, hanging from a rear leg upside in the tree. The light string had been wrapped tightly around the leg and the cat couldn't free herself.
    Mom works a 12 hr shift, so the cat could have been there for that long.
    When we x-rayed the cat's leg, we found, incidentally, a metal hook in her stomach, probably from an ornament.
    Her leg wasn't broken, but it could have other damage, not visible yet, to it. The doctor also recommend surgery to remove the hook.
    Sadly, the parents don't have the funds for any treatment, so it is a wait-and-see approach.
    I'm thinking about this kitty every day, and I hope for a good outcome.
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

How sad... poor kitty! I hope he/she will get treatment if it's necessary.

Over here, almost everybody use little candles in holders to put on Christmas trees, so this couldn't happen, but of course there are other dangers. When I had Fister here, I worried about the strings to pull the blinds up and down, so I tied them and put them up high.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I hope things work out all right for that cat. I wish I could contribute to the funds needed to fix the kitty up. Will her mom keep you folks at the hospital posted?

Sending her loads of good wishes and healing energies and love..

from me and Sparkler
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Unfortunately, the kitty's mom seems rather annoyed, when we call to check on her. It's all about the money, she complains about the cost of everything.
    I get it, pet care is, sadly, not cheap, and most people don't have an emergency fund in case something like that happens.

Blog Entries
    Poor kitty, how awful! I sure hope she has no long term injuries. I haven't had a tree in over 20 years, not worth the risk. I wish people would give some thought to pet safety when they decorate, pisses me off so much.

Update on kitty: I'm not at work today, but somebody told me they brought her finally back. Her foot is infected now, and she has lost weight. That poor baby hasn't been eating in almost 2 weeks. I hope they approve treatment!

Could I make a contribution to her care?

- Pat
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Could I make a contribution to her care?

- Pat

Pat, this is very generous and sweet of you. Unfortunately, the kitty was euthanized.

Oh, I am so sorry. I wish I could have done something.

Rest in peace, darling kitty, now a beautiful, glorious Angel at the Rainbow Bridge, strong and healthy again. Now you're resting and playing with so many other wonderful beloved Angels, and I hope I will meet you, One Fine Day...

Death thought about it.