Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We just can't get it right!

We just can't get it right!

Atopica for cats has been a godsend for Monroe's allergies. He has a thick coat now.
    But...one week ago, he started coughing, and he has been gulping and swallowing for several weeks and he sounds hoarse. First I thought that, since he's Mindy's brother, it just runs in the family.
    His weight is also on a downward spiral, in small increments.
    The vet saw him today, and she suspects that the regurgitation is caused by the Atopica. It is one of the top side effects, along with weight loss.
    So she recommended reducing the dose. I have done this before because of his anorexia, and a few days later, he started tearing up his skin again.
    And, if this won't help the reflux, she suggested to try the omeprazole, which made Mindy really sick.
    I am torn about what to do. None of those options sounds appealing.
    One good thing we found out today was about his heart. We took x-rays to make sure there wasn't a mass in his throat, so she happened to see his heart as well, and it has barely increased in size.

Name:  monnew2.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  95.4 KB
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

Fingers tightly crossed (and paws at the RB crossed, too) that you can reduce the dose, if need be, without Monroe tearing at his skin again. (((HUGS))) and a gentle kiss to your sweet boy.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

We are sending all our love and best wishes that this will be worked out satisfactorily for Monroe. Gentle pets and kisses to him.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} and ~~~~PURRRS~~~~ and from Pat and Sparkler
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Since that dose is working so well for Monroe, might giving him a half Pepcid a few minutes before his dose help the reflux?

Poor baby and you! Prayers for a successful solution.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thank you all! I told Monroe about all the support and he's sending his loudest (it's really loud) purr, and head bumpies.
    I will check on a Pepcid dose. It would be great if this would work.

Quote Originally Posted by cats4ever View Post
    Thank you all! I told Monroe about all the support and he's sending his loudest (it's really loud) purr, and head bumpies.
    I will check on a Pepcid dose. It would be great if this would work.

When Cole first started on his chemo, famotidine was one of the meds I was supposed to deliver ahead of time to ease the impact on the stomach.

(The other was Benardyl - diphrenydramine? - as mast cells put out histamines and the d. was an antihistamine. He hasn't had to take that for ages and his buffy coat test two months ago still showed NO mast cells in the blood. )

Unfortunately, Monroe is continuing to decline. His cough has become more frequent, and it sounds horrible. The vet now thinks that it could be caused by fluid and not by acid reflux, and she told me to increase his furosemide (fluid pill). The other possibility is bronchitis. If that's the case, it would be difficult to treat since Monroe can't have steroids.
    He is using up my nine lives, because I'm so worried about him, and, of course, we are up against the weekend.
    Please send some healing thoughts for my sad kitty!

Quote Originally Posted by cats4ever View Post
    Unfortunately, Monroe is continuing to decline. His cough has become more frequent, and it sounds horrible. The vet now thinks that it could be caused by fluid and not by acid reflux, and she told me to increase his furosemide (fluid pill). The other possibility is bronchitis. If that's the case, it would be difficult to treat since Monroe can't have steroids.
    He is using up my nine lives, because I'm so worried about him, and, of course, we are up against the weekend.
    Please send some healing thoughts for my sad kitty!
    Sending healing thoughts for dear Monroe right now. And prayers too.

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Healing thoughts and prayers and good wishes and warm energies are coming to dear sweet Monroe from us.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} and ~~~~PURRRS~~~~ and from Pat and Sparkler
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Oh Monroe, please get well soon! HUGS and prayers to you and your worried mom!

How is Monroe doing? Is the flurosemide helping him?

Please give him cuddles for me.

Thank you, Candace!
    The furosemide did not help. We repeated chest xrays yesterday, and there was no fluid present.
    The vet saw some mild interstitial pattern (pattern that partially obscures the margins of the pulmonary blood vessels).
    So now we are down to rule out either bronchitis (either bacterial or chronic), asthma or some other lung disease (I entered the notes in Monroe's medical record, but I still can't remember what the other thing was).
    Monroe got an antibiotic injection in case it is bacterial bronchitis. He is still coughing today.
    If it's not bacterial, he needs steroids (which could speed up his heartfailure). He would also have to discontinue Atopica, and he has already developed a couple of sores.
    With asthma, he would have to use a nebulizer, which, I think, he would not tolerate.
    Sorry about the lengthy post, but it's all so complicated, and I think that his vet is a bit frustrated, too.
    But I want to stay positive, and get the best possible treatment for him!

We are sending our love and support to Monroe and you, Heidi. You and he and the vet are doing so much to figure out what is going on and how best to deal with it. I know you'll come up with the best possible treatment for him.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} and ~~~~PURRRS~~~~ and to Monroe and you from Pat and Sparkler
    Death thought about it.

Oh, boy. Will keep praying, will keep talking to St. Gertrude. Hugs and caring thoughts.

OMG! Poor Monroe!

Could one of the meds be administered by a patch? Would that keep it from interfering with other meds?

Praying for a solution for sweet Monroe.