Thread: Poor Cole

Poor Cole

I have figured out he is constipated.

He's in and out of the litter box this morning, but not like before. In order to help him stay on his diet I have switched to dry food as it's easier to measure. As a result he is drinking a lot more water!

(Last time this happened I paid $350 at an emergency vet to find out two weeks later that he had no bladder infection at all.)

I put some Laxatone on his paw and hope that will help. He's just got to wait.

On the good side it's looking like he will need an insulin injection only once a day, and perhaps a lower dose. Also, his last "buffy coat" test at the oncologist showed no mast cells in his blood at all.

Sigh. I love my baby.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Poor Cole (and mom) indeed. You two just can't catch a break.
    Have you tried plain pumpkin puree? It contains lots of fiber and water to help move things along.
    I'm glad there weren't any mast cells!
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

Thanks, Heidi.

I forgot to mention he threw up all his breakfast. This doesn't happen often any more, but when the vet was examining him for the possible UTI he showed me which of Cole's teeth had FORL on them.
    One may be able to be burred down, but there are at least 3 bicuspids on the other side lower jaw that will have to go.

The vet suggested that Cole is swallowing his kibble mostly whole to avoid the pain.

Cole's oncologist doesn't like the idea of Cole having surgery (dental). With him being on chemo his immune system is compromised.

However, I'll try to see what we can do. Cole does not deserve pain after all he's been through.

Oh, Candace and Cole. I hope there is something that can be worked out to remove the teeth that need to go without endangering him because of his compromised immune system. Or that somehow the pain can be relieved.

Good news about no mast cells! Please give Cole some gentle pets for me and tell him we love him. We are sending good wishes and prayers and healing energies.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} and ~~~~PURRRS~~~~ and from Pat and Sparkler
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Well done Cole and Mom.

I'm tired...so tired of being worried of Cole's trips to the litterbox. But I fed him smaller helpings of food with a bit of hot water and some tuna on top. It's stayed down.

Candace, I know so well what you are going through. Special needs pets require all of our attention and dedication. It is very tiring (and expensive).
    I hope that Cole's digestion will get back on track, and that you can find a solution to keep him comfortable.

How is Cole doing?

He's better, thanks.

I got a new bag of Royal Canin kibble for urinary problems. They each get a serving of that, morning and evening. I add a small amount of very warm water to Cole's so he doesn't barf it up.

He's also on only one shot of insulin per day - and a reduced dose, at that! After a few days of monitoring him, my vet said to wait two weeks and then do a glucose curve.

So all is good. I have a bad cold now so hopefully will get to rest up for a while.

That's great, Cole and Candace!!!

Take care now, and let your furry nurses help you get over your cold.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I'm glad that Cole is doing well!
    Take care of yourself, get plenty of rest.