Thread: What smell do dogs not like?

What smell do dogs not like?

An upstairs neighbour has a sweet dog (about three years old, he is growing quite big and strong now, and he has a lot of energy! I think he is a black labrador. They take him for walks 3-4 times a day and he just can’t get down the staircase fast enough. Every time he passes my door he bumps into it quite hard and I hear a bang, thinking someone is knocking on my door. It’s quite irritating, and also ruins my door in various ways. However, I like the dog… and the people who own him. I have mentioned it to them and they sincerely apologised and offered to buy a new door mat that might not slide. Perhaps that’s a solution.

But I am thinking, there might be something I can wipe the door with, something that smells awful to a dog - but what? Vinegar, lemon…. ?? Or perhaps I should leave the door ajar, so it opens and the dog will end up in my hallway and get a shock.
    Last edited by Randi; 09-24-2018 at 11:11 AM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

The dog, if it's a typical Lab, would be delighted for the door to be ajar, and open when he bumps it. Then he'll bounce it for a visit, knocking over anything in his way!

Perhaps if there is room, set a chair in from of the door, with a towel wrapped around tehe back, so when he bangs into that, it will mak a small, barely audible tump when he happens by?

I cannot think of any smell a dog would not find attractive, unfortunately!
    I've Been Frosted

Karen is probably right, but you could still give bitter apple or bitter orange a try.
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

Thanks for your suggestions. First I'll try to wipe the door with vinegar, and I'll also talk to his owners again and see if they have suggestions.

Years ago another dog came in. I had forgotten to close the door and this huge dog suddenly stood in our front room where John and sat by the computers - luckily, Fister was two rooms away, sleeping on our bed, so he didn't notice.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

5. I was going to suggest using a baby gate or something just big enough to block the door way but it sounds like a traction issue. or maybe hes doing it for fun like my dads crazy puppy used to do. she used to like to run full speed an bounce off a couple walls in the house with her paws an make a U-turn an then do it again. but one day she tried it on a bed room door that has a metal sign on it an when she hit the door to bounce off it it rattled the door enough to make the sign vibrate an made one heck of a noise an that ended her bouncing off any walls/doorways