Thread: Hairball Queen!

Hairball Queen!

Montana is the Queen of Hairballs. Every day I brush her...but sooner or later her hair in her chest and sides and around her ears mats. I do a little trim job...but they come back. I feel bad for her, but don't know what to do. I am tempted to fork out the cash to take her to get groomed. She cares way too much about her appearance, and she takes pride in all the comments people give her. "If you've got it flaunt it, is her motto!"
    I hate to see her coat look the way it does,it can't be good for her self-esteem Anyway...the other problem is that she has such a thick coat that she is already dying of heat and it's only MAY!
    Has anyone had a Pyreneese that got a haircut?? She's so miserable..but no way will she go for it if there is a chance she'll come out looking like a fReAk!! She has appearances to maintain!

[This message has been edited by pyrlab (edited May 23, 2001).]

If its going to be really hot this summer, I'd cut her down a lot. She may look funny but a little embarrasment is better than being hot all the time. Professional grooming can add up to be quite expensive but they usually do a good job and it might be worth the cost. Maybe just try it once and you won't have to do it again if you don't like the results.

I work at a boarding kennel that does professional grooming. Most of the Pyr's DO come in for a "summer cut!" They just can't take the heat; and this is on Cape Cod!! Actually, they look pretty spiffy with their summer "doo!" And they seem to act as though they really feel better! My DLH kitty also gets a lion cut in summer, and he feels like a new man after it! Don't fret! She'll feel better, be more comfortable and it grows back quickly. It costs about 35.00 here. And they spend quite a bit of time washing, clipping and pampering. I say go for it! My husky/shep can't take the heat either. She spends all summer under a tree or digging a cool, deep hole to lie in! Montana is just beautiful!!

I just used to trim her down myself. It was not too drastic because I still wanted her to look like a Pyr! (ahhhh, memories!)

------------------

Some friends of mine shaved their prynees, all except for his head and tail he looked funny but at least he wasn't miserable in the humid heat!!!