Thread: Binkey - Mom's cat

Binkey - Mom's cat

My mom is in hospital for a few days - which is much longer than either of us expected. They're working on fixing her BP issues.

I drop in at least once a day on her cat. Mom wanted the boarding kennel but Binkey is just 3 months shy of 20 and I think he's better off in a more familiar place.

Binkey now rarely poops in the litter box. I've done two loads of laundry because he's pooped on Mom's pillow and a couple of his small blankets. This has been going on for a bit.

He does have a new litter box but without a hood. However, this problem was going on before we got the new box.

We'd taken him to the vet. The vet called to follow up about a week later. They think that since cats Binkey's age are often arthritic in the back end that kitty may find defecating painful. I've ordered the gabapentin tablets they suggested.

Has anyone else dealt with this situation? Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks so much.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Blog Entries
    Sorry, although I have no advice, I am thrilled you are not boarding an almost 20 yr. old cat! I can't imagine how much stress that would be for me, let alone a cat at that age! You are the best for going every day to care for Binkey!!! 🤜🏻🤛 Yep, the best!

I am with mon on everything here. Bless you, Candace, for taking care of and loving Binkey so well and so beautifully. And what a comfort to your dear mom!

I hope the gabapentin helps. Please keep us posted.

Sending along good loving wishes and healing energies,

from Pat and Sparkler and Poppy Angel
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    My mom is in hospital for a few days - which is much longer than either of us expected. They're working on fixing her BP issues.

I drop in at least once a day on her cat. Mom wanted the boarding kennel but Binkey is just 3 months shy of 20 and I think he's better off in a more familiar place.

Binkey now rarely poops in the litter box. I've done two loads of laundry because he's pooped on Mom's pillow and a couple of his small blankets. This has been going on for a bit.

He does have a new litter box but without a hood. However, this problem was going on before we got the new box.

We'd taken him to the vet. The vet called to follow up about a week later. They think that since cats Binkey's age are often arthritic in the back end that kitty may find defecating painful. I've ordered the gabapentin tablets they suggested.

Has anyone else dealt with this situation? Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks so much.
    I think your vet is correct. And kitties with arthritis don't like having to climb into a litter box.
    A litter box with a very low entrance might help him. If you can't find a commercial one, you can make one out of a storage box.
    I have one with a low entrance cut out. It's like a walk-in closet. Willa used it almost exclusively.
    If Binkey is not already on a glucosamine supplement, you can put him on Cosequin. I hope the gabapentin will help.
    Good luck, and headbumpies to Binkey!

Name:  box.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  63.0 KB
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

Thanks everyone!

Some good news - the daughter of a friend of mine is studying Animal Sciences. She loves senior cats and met Binkey today. She loved him!

For $15 per day she will be coming in the mornings to at least keep Binkey company. When he gets the gabapentin she will give it to him. If it's twice a day I can do the evening dose.

Mom was thinking today of all the cleaning up she has to do with Binkey around. I am already putting out feelers for a foster home. Binkey could still come for visits.

Will play that one by ear.

That sounds like a great planl! Binkey has a new friend who will take care of him.
    Senior kitties might have some challenges, but they are wonderful in so many ways!
    I hope that he doesn't have to go to a foster home any time soon.

Blog Entries
    Awww, I am glad you are there for Binkey. I know you will do whatever is best for your Mums beloved, elderly cat. I sure hope my cats live so long. I won't know about Mia though, as we haven't got a clue how old she is. 15 maybe. Best wishes.

Mom was discharged on Wednesday. As soon as she sat down after getting home, Binkey was in her lap! Happy Kitty!

The woman that had helped look after him came over to meet Mom and return the keys.

Binkey had a new huge litter box. Mom is giving him the Gabapentin - a half pill was too much so he's on 1/4 tab twice a day. She also wrapped up a small jewel box of hers in newspaper and put it upside down as a step in front of his box. Success! Everything that should go in the litter box is going there! YAY!

Thank you all for your suggestions and good wishes.

I'm glad to hear that your mom is back home. And Binkey is so happy, too.
    That's great that the gabapentin and new litter box are working out! It is definitely worth sacrificing a jewel box.

Welcome home to your dear Mom, Candace! How good that she and Binkey are reunited! And that sounds great about the new litterbox and the Gabapentin. May things continue to go well.

Loads of good wishes and healing energies to all concerned!

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} and ~~~~PURRRS~~~~ and
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery