Thread: Zoe

Zoe

Zoe was over 17 years old; her birthdate is unknown.

Zoe - aka Nutbar, Little Girl, Wrig-ged-dy Pig-ge-let, Silly Girl, Kitten, bouncing around like a pinball ...the sweetest little cat I have known.

Zoe grew up on a farm in northern Alberta. Somewhere along the way she lost half an ear to frostbite. She arrived at the Cochrane Humane Society at the age of ten with two other cats - one about 2 years old, and the other a single kitten that she was still nursing. I offered to foster her - and she moved herself right in! She had beautiful markings including a white belly with a stripe of tabby brown crossing it as if her "suit" was being held in place by a belt. She deferred to my oldest cat Oscar but was insanely jealous of Cole and would shove herself in for attention whether Cole was present or not.

Whenever I was seated at the desktop computer she would lie on her left side in my lap with my right hand holding her in place and caressing her. She also loved cheek and head rubs, and would bonk her head against my ankle in affection. When I was away for two weeks once, all three kitties were in the front hall when I came in. Zoe squeezed by Oscar and with her eyes closed she came up to me. I patted her and then she ran to the dining room and pounced on the end of her tail several times, a game she always played when she was happy. As I walked down the hallway to my bedroom she came running back to my ankle and bonkbonkbonkbonkbonk!

On April 6th I noticed a wet mark around her mouth as if she'd dipped a little too deep into the water bowl. It was bigger on Friday so I called my vet and took her in. She was due for a future dental cleaning and I thought she might have developed an infection.

The vet examined her mouth and then showed me. "She has a tumour under her tongue," I was told. The vet rubbed Zoe's cheeks and Zoe looked at her. "And she's such a sweet little girl!"

I was in shock. All oral tumours in cats are malignant. Dr. Tara said that surgery could be done but it was tricky as the area contains many many blood vessels. And even after surgery the tumour would return in about a month.

Dr. Tara looked at me and said, "You aren't ready, are you?" I wasn't, I just wasn't. They gave her an injection of antibiotics and me some prednisone to take home.

I already had gabapentin at home - the vet wanted her to have that also. I got recovery food and a larger liquid syringe with which she was fed, watered and medicated.

On April 12th it was time. She wasn't going to get better. Sometimes the saliva around her mouth was darkly tinged with blood, which was heartbreaking to see. She was not only unable to eat and drink - she couldn't even groom herself.

I had a number of minutes alone with Zoe after she was given the sedative. At one point she became her old self - wanting (and getting) cheek and head rubs like crazy, jumping down and bonking her little noggin sideways on my ankle.

Her passing was very peaceful. I kept telling her I loved her. I said I was so sorry this had happened. It was no one's fault.

I have no regrets about my decision except that the cancer had happened so suddenly. I miss her so very much.

Zoe, I love you and miss you. Thank you forever for being in my life.

"Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

What a wonderful tribute to Zoe!
    Those pictures are heartmelting, she was a breathtaking beauty. I'm choking right now.
    Candace, nobody could have given her a more loving home and better care than you did.
    Zoe will be with you forever!
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

Candace, I'm so very sorry you have lost Zoe. What a beautiful and sweet girl she was. I know how bad it hurts, but try to think of the good times you had together, and know she is at peace now. I hope it will be a comfort that she had a good and long life with you.

Rest in peace, sweet Zoe!

Sending comforting thoughts and hugs.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Our condolences, Candace.
    I've Been Frosted

Candace, you gave Zoe a wonderful life. No doubt she loved you as much as you loved her. Your tribute to her is fabulous. She was a special little girl.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Oh, Candace, I am so very sorry. Deepest sympathy to you and Oscar and Cole and all who know sweet, dear Zoe and love her and miss her and grieve her.

What a beautiful girl she is, and thank you for sharing those lovely photos with us. What a beautiful story of love and care and delight you've told us about precious Zoe, and what a beautiful life she lived and shared with you all and will share always. She is whole and healthy again now at the Rainbow Bridge, with so many other beloved Angels, watching over you all and sending down love.

Zoe Angel, please send some Angelic purrrs to the hearts of your dear Candace and Oscar and Cole to remind them that all is well, you are with them always, and you will all be together again One Fine Day..

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} and ~~~~PURRRS~~~~ and from Pat and Sparkler and Poppy Angel (who is already good friends with Zoe!) and all the Angels
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I am so sorry Candace. RIP Zoe, have fun with your friends at RB.

I am so sorry!
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

I am so sorry, Candace. This is a wonderful tribute for your sweet girl.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I'm so sorry Candace, it is so very hard to let go one of your kitty's ......
    I absolutely love the patern on her fur (I remember seeing this on a british shorthair...)
    The story of her life is so moving.....! It is so certain that Zoe found the best possible home with you!!
    No doubt, Zoe is now playing with both my Maya & Zazou, and many other PT-cats who are there too!

Take care Candace

Rest is peace dear Zoe
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

An electronic hug to you and to Zoe over the Rainbow Bridge. I lost my 17 year old cat man Poppy in 2015. May they both run healthy and happy over the Bridge and wait for us to meet the again one day. Again, I am sorry for your loss.