Thread: Eye infection not getting better

Eye infection not getting better

I have been fostering kittens for a couple years now. I guess I have been lucky up til this year. Last kittens I had, had diarrhea and my 15 year old cat ended up with it. And just recently I had another litter which looked healthy but soon got sick. Lethargic and very infected eyes. I asked the foster place to take the kittens back so my old kitty doesn't get sick again. Unfortunately I guess it was too late, not for old kitty but for my 2 year old.

He now has a very swollen eye and was very lethargic for a few days. His energy has gotten better but not his eye. I had him to the vet on Tuesday and got ointment. I've been giving it to him as the vet said and cleaning it out several times a day.

I don't think it's really getting better. I don't know what to do as the vet is closed for the weekend now and Monday is Holiday.

Someone suggested maybe stopping this medicine and trying polysporin pink eye drops for a couple days.

Any suggestions?

(No place to upload photos on a phone?)

Quote Originally Posted by Sowa View Post
    I have been fostering kittens for a couple years now. I guess I have been lucky up til this year. Last kittens I had, had diarrhea and my 15 year old cat ended up with it. And just recently I had another litter which looked healthy but soon got sick. Lethargic and very infected eyes. I asked the foster place to take the kittens back so my old kitty doesn't get sick again. Unfortunately I guess it was too late, not for old kitty but for my 2 year old.

He now has a very swollen eye and was very lethargic for a few days. His energy has gotten better but not his eye. I had him to the vet on Tuesday and got ointment. I've been giving it to him as the vet said and cleaning it out several times a day.

I don't think it's really getting better. I don't know what to do as the vet is closed for the weekend now and Monday is Holiday.

Someone suggested maybe stopping this medicine and trying polysporin pink eye drops for a couple days.

Any suggestions?

(No place to upload photos on a phone?)
    I would persist in treating as it was suggested, infections sometimes take a while before there's evidence of it getting better. Also make sure kitty is eating plenty - extra fuel to fight the infection.
    I've Been Frosted

I was told he should have lysine but he won't eat it. He's not big on canned food and usually only has a couple licks. I've also tried mixing it with tuna and also a little milk and he only licks a little. I got him lysine treats and get won't eat that either. He really only likes his kibble and I don't want to mess with that and have him not eat it anymore..

Blog Entries
    I am not a vet. but antibiotics, orally spring to mind. I'd consider it.

I asked the vet if he needed antibiotics and she said no. She said something about the kittens have herpies or something like that and the lethargy is like a cold people get so antibiotics won't help

I would not use any eye medicine intended for humans. It's possible that it's a very bad herpes infection, and occasionally vets treat this particular eye condition with antiviral meds, which can be pricey.
    As my vet always says, eye problems can get better quickly, but also can get worse quickly as well.
    If going to the emergency vet is an option, I would definitely take him. I don't want to scare you unnecessarily, but he could have an injury to his eye, which could be very painful, and potentially lead to the loss of his eye.
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

He has been to the vet twice about this. They have checked him over. I've gotten two sets of antibiotics and he's still got the infection. It now seems to have spread to his other eye. What can I do? Its getting very expensive going to the vet every week and my dog was also just sick which was expensive. Sigh.

Blog Entries
    Hi,
    I hope your cat gets better.
    Have you gone to see a vet, bc my cat got an eye I fiction a couple of years ago (all better now) and all we had to after the vet visit we got some eye drops and did a salt water mixture on a make up remover pad and wiped that on her eye and after a few weeks she got better.

Hope this helps

I don't know what form the Lysine comes in but here's what I did for my late kitty who had never been pilled in her entire long life:

1. I crushed up the pill/opened the capsule and mixed the powdered stuff into Whiskas cat milk or even human evaporated milk. I diluted both a little bit with warm water. Don't use too much milk - max 1/4 cup.

2. I got a liquid syringe - mixed the above powder with water or the milk and squirted it into her mouth.

I hope you find a solution.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I got a gel version from the vet which he eats on his own most of the time. He's feeling pretty crappy today though. Just want this to be over for him and he could feel better. I wish I could take it from him. It makes me so depressed seeing him like this. His other eye is so bad now.

I disinfected the litter boxes, steamed cleaned my floors, threw out scratch pads and toys... anything the foster kittens I had might have been around except the scratching tree. I don't know how to disinfect that. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for him. I wish the eye area with an eye pad and warm water and his his medication as the vet told me to. He gets his lysine twice daily. I'll be calling the vet first thing in the morning and asking for an antibiotic or something else that has to work

If my vet (and she's an excellent one) is confronted with eye issues that just don't get better, she usually refers the client to an ophthalmologist ( a specialty eyedoctor), because timely treatment is just so crucial.
    I know that money is an issue. Is Carecredit available to you?

https://www.carecredit.com/

You can use a steam cleaner for the scratch post. Or use carpet shampoo and then let it dry in the sun. Exposing it to sunlight also kills bacteria.
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)