Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Angel Poppy - was My Poppy has cancer

Poppy's appetite has been a little less enthusiastic this weekend.. She is eating not quite but pretty much the usual amount, especially if I stay with her and pet her.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Thanks, Heidi. I'll keep you all posted.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Poppy's appetite has been a little less enthusiastic this weekend.. She is eating not quite but pretty much the usual amount, especially if I stay with her and pet her.

Once her appetite starts really slowing down, ask your vet about mirtazapine, an appetite stimulant.
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

Thanks, Heidi. She's got some mirtazapine appetite stimulant, from the ER vet, and I gave her another pill yesterday. Shortly afterward she gobbled up some kibble. She wasn't that enthusiastic about the wet food, the Trader Joe's fish that she loved the other day, but she ate most of it, in stages when I would come and fix it up the way she likes it and has for a long time, wetted and molded all up into a little heap in the middle of the bow.

When I came home mid-afternoon today, she wanted more kibble, some Taste of the Wild, and I gave her some. Soon it will be wet food dinnertime.

I talked with one of the regular vets yesterday, and I asked her about the Chlorambucil. She didn't think it would help, because there is metastasis, which I think now is what that strange word "carcinomatosis" meant.

from Poppy and me and Sparkler too
    Death thought about it.

I'm glad that Poppy is eating.
    I saw the Wikipedia explanation for "carcinomatosis", and this is cancer secondary to another cancer that has metastasized. So it makes sense that chlorambucil is not an option, which is unfortunate.
    Luckily, Poppy has the most caring mom she could ever hope for!
    Hugs and headbumpies to you, Pat, and Poppy and Sparkler

Thank you, Heidi, from all of us.

She's not eating much at all now. Last night she ate a (very) little of a serving of Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Chicken Hearts & Liver Feast in Grilled Chicken Flavor Gravy.

This morning she acted like she wanted some kibble breakfast, and I gave her some Taste of the Wild Rocky Mountain Feline Formula with Roasted Venison & Smoked Salmon, which she seems to like better than the Meow Mix I gave her a few days ago. She ate some but not much. I left it out for her to eat at her leisure and went out for a while. Much of it was still there when I got back.

I picked up some baby food today, and mid-day she ate some (not much) Gerber Ham and Gravy baby food, after a little bit of the juice from some Rachael Ray Nutrish Chicken Purrcata.

(All these extravagant names for cat food and baby food varieties.. Marketing! But they sound like things she just might find juicy and appetizing, so worth trying...)

I feel so helpless. This is all happening so quickly.

Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Thank you, Heidi, from all of us.

She's not eating much at all now. Last night she ate a (very) little of a serving of Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Chicken Hearts & Liver Feast in Grilled Chicken Flavor Gravy.

This morning she acted like she wanted some kibble breakfast, and I gave her some Taste of the Wild Rocky Mountain Feline Formula with Roasted Venison & Smoked Salmon, which she seems to like better than the Meow Mix I gave her a few days ago. She ate some but not much. I left it out for her to eat at her leisure and went out for a while. Much of it was still there when I got back.

I picked up some baby food today, and mid-day she ate some (not much) Gerber Ham and Gravy baby food, after a little bit of the juice from some Rachael Ray Nutrish Chicken Purrcata.

(All these extravagant names for cat food and baby food varieties.. Marketing! But they sound like things she just might find juicy and appetizing, so worth trying...)

I feel so helpless. This is all happening so quickly.

Pat, there's no way you could have ever been ready for this. Even though Poppy knows that something is different, all she wants is for you to be with her.

sending ((((((HUGS)))) and love and, I'm sure, headbumpies from angel Cassie.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Thank you, Heidi and Elyse and Angel Cassie.
    Death thought about it.

This morning I got a sample-bag of some kibble called N&D Natural&Delicious adult cat food, cinghiale e mela, or as they kindly translate, boar and apple. Never heard of that combo for cats before, but Poppy has been eating more of it, so far, than other things I've been trying. If she keeps up with it, I'll get her a bag tomorrow.

Last edited by phesina; 04-27-2018 at 05:31 PM.
    Death thought about it.

She ate maybe a tiny bit more of it, but she's not really interested in any food, wet or dry, that I've been trying on her. And her abdomen has kind of swollen up, as if she was suddenly quite fat.

She is up and moving around some, so she's not completely comatose. She got up on the bed with me when I was waking up this morning, settling on my left shoulder as I was lying on my right side.

Death thought about it.

Make sure that you keep an eye on her breathing. A distended abdomen could mean that there's fluid in it. You might want to consult with the vet about that.

Thanks, Heidi. I'll do that.
    Death thought about it.

How is Poppy doing ?. Pets and scritches to her.

Not good, I'm afraid; thanks, Prathima. Pets and skritches delivered, and they were received with purrrs.

Death thought about it.