Thread: The fate of so many kitties

The fate of so many kitties

Miss Kitty's water consumption had steadily increased over last few months. It's to a point where I can't refill the fountain fast enough, and her urine output is incredible.
    So I had her kidney values rechecked last week, and as expected, they had increased.
    I switched her Hill's K/D, a renal diet. She hates it. I have to say the canned food smells atrocious. She eats it if I refrigerated it. I guess it masks the flavor somewhat.
    I might try a different brand.
    Other than her thirst, she seems to feel well, no nausea yet. Keeping my fingers crossed that she will hang in there for a while.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mkbed.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	60576
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

Callie, who is now with a rescue, gets stones. I had switched her to Wellness Salmon and Herring. No chicken in it. It seemed to work, but she still has stones. But Urine was no longer bloody.

Best of health to your kitty.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Miss Kitty, I hope you get better. Maybe your Mom will try another brand or flavour. Hugs!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Bob had kidney disease, and he was on a prescription kidney diet (NOT K/D). Maybe Royal Canin? He did much better with it than he would have with K/D, which he didn't want to eat, either.

Best wishes, Miss Kitty and Meowmie!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post
    Callie, who is now with a rescue, gets stones. I had switched her to Wellness Salmon and Herring. No chicken in it. It seemed to work, but she still has stones. But Urine was no longer bloody.

Best of health to your kitty.
    Thank you!
    Miss Kitty had stones a few years ago. I did not want to remove them surgically, so I put her on S/D, a stone dissolving diet. 8 weeks later, the stones were gone.

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Bob had kidney disease, and he was on a prescription kidney diet (NOT K/D). Maybe Royal Canin? He did much better with it than he would have with K/D, which he didn't want to eat, either.

Best wishes, Miss Kitty and Meowmie!

Thank you, Pat! I'll check tomorrow, if we carry Royal Canin. I know we have N/F, by Purina.

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Miss Kitty, I hope you get better. Maybe your Mom will try another brand or flavour. Hugs!
    Thank you, Candace! Miss Kitty really tries to be compliant. I sit with her when she's eating, and talk to her, and she keeps nibbling on her food. It's sad and sweet at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by cats4ever View Post
    Thank you, Pat! I'll check tomorrow, if we carry Royal Canin. I know we have N/F, by Purina.
    That might have been it, Purina N/F. Something prescription that was not K/D, anyway. I'm not crazy about any of those Hill's foods, prescription or non-prescription.

Please keep us posted on what you find and how she likes whatever you try.

Best wishes to Miss Kitty finding the right food!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Purina has a new kidney diet, called "NF early care". It has moderate protein, and slightly reduced phosphorus, for the early stages of kidney failure.
    Miss Kitty seems to like it ok, so for now we are sticking with it.
    At this point, the only sign of renal failure are her immense water consumption and the increased BUN (blood urea nitrogen). No nausea yet.
    Hopefully, the food will help to keep the disease at bay a little longer.

That's great that Miss Kitty likes the new food! We are sending along our continuing loving good wishes and warm strengthening energies and prayers for her, and for you all.

More {{{{{HUGS}}}}} and ~~~~PURRRS~~~~ and from Pat and Sparkler and Poppy Angel
    Death thought about it.

I really hope the food will help to keep the disease at bay a little longer. Like we talked about before, few cats like renal diets, and as you mentioned, it's better to give them something they like, rather than not eating at all. Perhaps mix the renal diet with something she likes - if it's dry food.

And thanks for the link you posted earlier.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Thank you, Pat and Randi! Lots of purrs from Miss Kitty.
    I got the dry version of the early care as well, because Miss Kitty likes her kibble. I think that helps, too, to get her to eat the wet food. And I use it for treats.

My vet passed on a tip to get Oscar to eat his urinary food. She said to shake a small bit of parmesan cheese on it.

So I let Oscar eat what he will then gently tap a light sprinkling of parmesan over the rest. It works!

It's so great you found Miss Kitty a food that she likes! She'll be with you for a long time yet.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    My vet passed on a tip to get Oscar to eat his urinary food. She said to shake a small bit of parmesan cheese on it.

So I let Oscar eat what he will then gently tap a light sprinkling of parmesan over the rest. It works!

It's so great you found Miss Kitty a food that she likes! She'll be with you for a long time yet.
    That's a good idea, I keep that in mind as plan B. Right now, I'm cheating with Fortiflora (a probiotic). I call it a "flavor package", and it has helped me many times to get the kitties to eat what they were supposed to.
    If they ever get tired of it, parmesan cheese will be next.
    Miss Kitty's previous kidney diet was apparently so bad that the probiotic could not mask the flavor. I bet the cheese would have helped.