Thread: crying?

crying?

i've noticed this a few times and am really confused.

we have a tall mirror in the hall that mickey walks up to. he used to just sit there or play with his reflection but now he's been crying to it. he'll try to climb up it and start whining. is this serious? i'm confused because after he does that, we would take him out to potty and then he would stop. is he getting the door mixed up with the mirror? (they both give off a reflection) or does he want another dog in the house? (not gonna happen )

any advice/suggestions would be appreciated thanks

just thought i'de stick this here to see if my IMG thing works

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

Awww what an adorable picture of Mickey admiring himself!!!

About your question, I have heard that humans are the only species (maybe monkeys too??) that can identify a mirror as a reflection of themselves right off the bat. I know it took my brother's cats the longest time to figure out that it wasn't another cat in there, and I wonder if Mickey is seeing another pup and he just wants to play!! It could be, also, that he associates seeing an image of another pup (the front door) with going out. It's hard to say, but he's still a very young pup & is learning tons of stuff about his surroundings everyday, and it might take him a little while until he figures it out.

thanks

i'm a little worried, well not really , but i'm just wondering. because of the fact that he was with his littermates and about 20 other dogs last week, seeing another dog in the mirror reminds him of home and he cries? or is it separation anxiety? i'm pretty sure the breeders' home is long forgotten to him, but ?? lol, i'm so confused. anyways, any ideas on how to distract him from the mirror? i hate seeing him sad

from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.

Can you cover it with a sheet?? Also try distracting him with toys/treats/playing. And from what I know of separation anxiety, it would be *very* obvious--frantic barking/panting/jittery and basically going nuts. You would KNOW that he was VERY unhappy. I remember how overwhelming the first few weeks with a puppy can be...there's so much to learn..."is this behaviour normal? Should I be worried?? Is this right??" Hang in there because before you know it, both you and him will be comfortable. I'm not saying that I still don't have thoughts like that 6 months later, but it gets easier & easier.

I have a 6 month old Sheltie that used to bark and growl at a mirror when I got him about a month ago. Now he's used to it and it content to chew a bone or a toy and watch his reflection in the mirror.

okay, well that's good to know

cookiebaker - i can't cove rit with a sheet. its one of thos elong mirrors that reach the cieling. hehe anyways, i figured that its because he's really playful and maybe no one is playing with him, so what i usually do is get him distract dfrom it by throwing his ball or soemthing. if that doesn't help, i take him out and then he's okay thanks

zman - your sheltie is 6 mos. how big has he gotten? thx

He's about 15" tall (floor to top of his shoulders) and about 17 lbs. I'm getting him neutered Thursday.

oh, i hope all goes well sure it will