Thread: Cole's diabetes returns

Cole's diabetes returns

On Wednesday Cole went for his 2 month recheck with the oncologist.

She phoned me yesterday to report back. All was good except his blood glucose was really high - 21.

Although it's normal for a stressed cat to have higher glucose levels (taking blood sample from back leg this time) she said it was the highest she had seen it.

I stopped into my regular vet. They are closed today but I am doing a curve and can get a prescription tomorrow morning.

I just may try the Transfer Factor again. A good several weeks before surgery and chemo I started Cole on it. His BC numbers started to come down and continued to do so even though I didn't buy any more TF after the surgery and the start of chemo.

I did save about 30 syringes when he went into remission as well as the testing materials.

I am also taking out advertising in a local coffee shop publication (ie, a newsletter that goes to many coffee shops and small businesses) to get more work.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

We are sending along loads of love and prayers and healing energies for Cole and you, Candace.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I hope that it really was the stress, and if not, that the Transfer Factor will do its thing again.
    Headbumpies and purrs from all my kitties to Cole.
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

What the oncologist meant is that the stress is caused at the time of the examination and the blood sample being taken - it should have been very normal at home as Cole had been back for a few hours.

I am doing a curve today.... 21.6, food, 21.3, 20.9, 17.3, 19.5, food...next test in a few minutes.

Yeah, we'll be doing the insulin for a while. The insulin (Lantus) works out to about $20 per month. It's the insulin needles that cost a lot - just over $40 per month. I tried an insulin pen...but it needs to held for a good 10 seconds and that's forever for a kitty cat!

Have you tried to get insulin syringes from an online pharmacy? Foster and Smith sells U100 syringes for $0.25 (US) a piece, and U40 syringes 10 for $2.70. They ship some items to Canada, not sure about syringes.

Quote Originally Posted by cats4ever View Post
    Have you tried to get insulin syringes from an online pharmacy? Foster and Smith sells U100 syringes for $0.25 (US) a piece, and U40 syringes 10 for $2.70. They ship some items to Canada, not sure about syringes.

I just looked - they do now ship to Canada. The syringes I use are U-100 and 31 gauge, 6 mm. The closest on this page is 30 gauge and 8 mm (I converted).

Does the gauge size make a difference? I'm not sure what it means.

Ummm...the information says that if the item has a maple leaf on it then it ships to Canada. This item doesn't. WAAAH!

Heidi, I found a brand online that has all the specs of my current brand. Does it matter if it's a different brand? It's a veterinary syringe.

It's the concentration of the insulin that determines what syringe to use. If you use U-100, it means that Lantus has 100 Units/ml, and you can not use U-40s.
    The brand of the syringe shouldn't matter, as long it is a U-100.

I've found two Canadian sites that have U-100s and where the other syringe specs match what I have now.

I have sent the links to my vet to get her ok on them.

Also, I emailed the oncologist's assistant two links for Palladia. It runs about $8 - $10 per tablet and is much less expensive online. They need a prescription, of course. Crossing my fingers on that one.

Thanks!

Yay! My vet approved the one site's online syringes, free delivery in Canada. $19.99 vs $36.96 at my pharmacy.

That's fabulous! I'm glad you found that site.
    I get most of my cats' meds online and I save a lot of money. Even though I get a discount at the vet since I work there, the meds are still cheaper online.
    As long as the kitties are up-to-date on their exams and bloodwork, all their meds get approved.

I hope Cole's oncologist approves the online meds. Fingers crossed for that also.