Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saying goodbye

Saying goodbye

Ten or eleven years ago, I got my first ever bottle baby. She was a day-old black nugget who I initially named Shimmer. Her umbilical cord had been wrapped around her right hind foot, and eventually that foot simply fell off. The rest of her leg was amputated to stop her from walking on her stump, and my grandma adopted her and named her Sassy!

Fast forward to two weeks ago, Grandma fell and broke her hip. She has dementia and struggles to remember fairly basic things, and now she cannot stoop to clean the litterbox. We talk, and agree that it's best for Sassy to come to the shelter where I work and find a new home.

As I was moving her into my house on Friday, she got startled and bit me. Not a bad bite by any means and I don't blame her at all, but it does mean that I have to keep her at home for ten days under bite quarantine. She has mostly been tucked away into her kennel, but tonight she came out for some snuggle time and I was SHOCKED. She has carpal hyperextension, meaning that she basically walks on her wrists on her front feet. There are several possible causes, but it's likely the result of years of being overweight and three-legged.

This is....bad news. Medical management of this condition just.....doesn't work in most cases. Surgically fusing the carpus (wrist) is basically the only treatment that can restore quality of life, and with her mobility already compromised fusing both of her wrists is just not realistically going to help her. Now, I'm faced with the reality that this bite quarantine period is most likely the end for her. She's getting lots of her favorite canned food and lots of snuggle time. The doctors at work have promised me that we will run bloodwork and take X-rays and at least LOOK for a path to quality of life for her, but nobody is very optimistic that we will find one. Saying goodbye to Sassy is a little like saying goodbye to my Grandma, as dementia has stolen away the woman I knew.

Snuggle time!

Sassy's front legs
    Last edited by snakemama; 03-11-2018 at 04:09 PM.

Blog Entries
    Aww, so very sorry to hear this. From the bottom of my heart, I wish you and Grandma and Shimmer /Sassy just the very best. No matter how it all turns out, all three of you deserve the best.

What a beautiful girl! We are sending along all our good wishes and loving warm energies and prayers to Sassy and Grandma and you.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I am so very sorry about your grandma and Sassy. Unfortunately, I'm not able to view her pictures.
    You gave this special girl a wonderful life, and I'm glad that the doctors will give her a chance by examining her, as small as it might be.
    Best wishes and hugs to your grandma and Sassy.

Thanks everyone. I think I've fixed the photos now.

Is there any chance, since she has been getting along like this all her life so far, she could continue in that way? In a very controlled environment so she puts the least amount of strain on the area?

Sending prayers and warm loving healing energies and loads of love, from Poppy and Sparkler and Pat.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Is there any chance, since she has been getting along like this all her life so far, she could continue in that way? In a very controlled environment so she puts the least amount of strain on the area?

Sending prayers and warm loving healing energies and loads of love, from Poppy and Sparkler and Pat.
    The doctors at work will let me know after her X-rays and bloodwork what their thoughts are. I'm lucky to work in a shelter with a VERY high budget for medical care, so if there's a realistic chance for quality of life we will go for it. I talked her case over with two of our doctors last night though and they both told me that the outlook was very poor and I should not get my hopes up.

I'm glad there is such excellent medical care available for Sassy.

Sending more prayers and hopes and best wishes and warm loving healing energies and loads of love for precious Sassy... And lots more of her favorite canned food and snuggle time!

I join in with my friend mon:
    Quote Originally Posted by mon View Post
    ...No matter how it all turns out, all three of you deserve the best.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} and ~~~~PURRRS~~~~ and from Pat and Poppy and Sparkler
    Death thought about it.

PT prayers that a solution can be found for this sweet girl to live.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Sassy, you are beautiful! You are getting the very best treatment.
    Purrs and hugs to you and your mom.

Well, today was the day we said goodbye. A urinalysis revealed a ton of glucose and ketones in her extremely dilute urine, bloodwork confirmed both renal failure and diabetes. To top it off, her remaining hind leg had severe arthritis at the knee.

I'm so sad, but also glad that she went with me holding her and my favorite doctor did the euthanasia.

Seems it was the best of a sad time - you holding her, your favourite vet, and Sassy was so, so loved and knew it.

[[[hugs]]]
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I am so very sorry. My deepest sympathy to you and Grandma and all who love Sassy and grieve her and will miss her so much. May your precious memories and keepsakes help to comfort you.

Rest in peace, dearest Sassy, so loving and so beloved. You've lived a long and wonderful life full of love and warmth and snuggles and good food, with your dear Meowmie holding you as you said goodbye. Now you are a glorious Angel at the Rainbow Bridge, whole and healthy again. Please send some purrrs to her heart and Grandmeowmie's heart to reassure them that love is eternal, you are with them always, and you will all be together again, One Fine Day...

Death thought about it.

Blog Entries
    What a tough day, so sorry Sassy passed. I know you will miss her. 💐🌺💐