Thread: Over Protective Dog

Over Protective Dog

Hi,
    My husband and I take my dog to the dog park every week and he does very well with the other dogs. The other owners love him and he never gets out of control but he’s different when my husband is not around. I tried taking him to the dog park by myself and I can’t be in there for more than 2 minutes. He attacks every dog. I tried to take him two times already but I had to stop because I don’t want the other owners to feel like their dog is not safe around him.
    My dog is always around other people and is very sociable. Even when my husband is not around. I just wish he can be the same way every time.I have always made my dog sit for his meal, before he jumps on the bed, before he could go outside, etc…. He is well discipline. I just don’t know what else I can do ☹️

Hmm, do you get nervous in anticipation? He could be sensing that.
    I've Been Frosted

Blog Entries
    Sounds like an alpha male type thing. He might feel he has to intimidate other dogs to protect you? Just a guess. Are you small, is your husband large?

Another guess: Even though you can make him sit and stay, he might still view your husband as the alpha.
    You two might have to retrain him.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Hmm, do you get nervous in anticipation? He could be sensing that.
    I wasn’t nervous the first time I took him to the dog park by myself because I didn’t expect him to act the way he did. I was nervous the second time though. 😐

Quote Originally Posted by mon View Post
    Sounds like an alpha male type thing. He might feel he has to intimidate other dogs to protect you? Just a guess. Are you small, is your husband large?
    Yes he does feel like he has to but I wish he can just stop. I’m off during the summer and I would love to take him to the park more often.
    I’m about 5’5” and my husband is 5’8”.

Easy fix

The behavioral problem you described with youdog could be fixed easily by someone with proper training in behavioral analysis or in dog training. What have you actually tried and why are you getting so frustrated with the dog if you haven’t properly trained it?

Is the problem that the dog behaves differently when your husband is around and disrespects you and you can’t handle that emotionally?

Get a professional trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Javier View Post
    The behavioral problem you described with youdog could be fixed easily by someone with proper training in behavioral analysis or in dog training. What have you actually tried and why are you getting so frustrated with the dog if you haven’t properly trained it?

Is the problem that the dog behaves differently when your husband is around and disrespects you and you can’t handle that emotionally?

Actually my dog has been properly trained by a professional trainer. So please do not assume without asking me first.
    I never said I was frustrated because my dog disrespects me nor did I say I can’t handle that emotionally. My dog just feels like he has to protect me around other dogs.
    Besides him being extremely over protective, he behaves exactly the same with both of us.

Blog Entries
    You go girl! My cousins sent us a photo of their new pit bull Harley (girl) and their crazy old long haired black cat Luna. I wish I could send it, they are both sound asleep SPOONING in front of the fireplace. One of the cutest pics ever. Luna has lost 2 Pitt bull siblings and she loves herself a dog. She trains them well, but my cuz definately took Harley to school to get her trained properly and that an excellent plan. Some folks like to give advice but really have no idea what they are talking about. 🤜🏻🤛

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Javier View Post

Javier, I hope you won't be offended if I offer you a tiny bit of advice. Hopefully you won't get frustrated and you will be able to handle it emotionally. Do you have pet that disrespects you? If you do, your pet can be fixed easily 🍒 Simply go and hire a professional trainer. Maybe get one for yourself as well. Win, win eh 😋