Thread: Fleas

Fleas

I purchased a generic brand of Frontline yesterday and applied it to my 5 month old kitten. Today I observed her fidgety and scratching more than she ever has prior.
    How long does it take before the FLEAS start to die. She still has many on her. It's only been 36 hours.

It takes 24 hours to spread over the kitty's coat, and up to 48 to kill off any adult fleas. So you do not need to reapply, but make sure there are no fleas in any carpets or bedding kitty has contact with!
    I've Been Frosted

It will take a little time to work, so don't apply more on her, she could get very sick. Like Karen says, make sure there are no fleas in any carpets or bedding kitty has contact with. Wash any blankets she has been laying on on a high temperature, and vacuum the house every second day, especially around the edges. Fleas like to hide in dark places. As the eggs hatch, you will get more fleas, so make sure to continue vacuuming, and empty the bag outside into a plastic bag that is tied. Any clothes of yours she has been in contact with, you can put in the freezer for at least 24 hours, or wash on a high temperature.

It is hard work to get rid of them, it can take up to 6 months, or more, but don't give up!
    Good luck!

When I had a cat, I
    used a few drops of Advantage every few months and he never had any fleas.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Tstratton View Post
    I purchased a generic brand of Frontline yesterday and applied it to my 5 month old kitten. Today I observed her fidgety and scratching more than she ever has prior.
    How long does it take before the FLEAS start to die. She still has many on her. It's only been 36 hours.
    Her discomfort could either come from fleas dying (they are more active then), and/or the product itself.
    In addition to the topical flea treatment, you could also give her a 24-hr flea pill (Capstar, generic: nitenpyram, not a prescription but OTC). Frontline and Capstar can be given together.
    Sometimes, generic brands don't work as well as the brand name product.
    But as Karen said, do not apply more of the Frontline, and clean, clean, clean.
    Treat any other pets living in the house as well. Also watch for tapeworms as fleas carry their eggs.

Blog Entries
    I sure hope your efforts work, please keep us updated! Fleas can be hard to kill, I hate them.