Thread: R.I.P. Nutmeg: World's Oldest Cat Dies at 32

R.I.P. Nutmeg: World's Oldest Cat Dies at 32

(That's 144 in Feline Years)

http://people.com/pets/oldest-cat-di...form=hootsuite

Liz and Ian Finlay of the U.K. first met their resilient and perdurable (purr-durable?) feline, Nutmeg, 27 years ago.
    “We celebrate his birthday in March every year so we know it was around March 1990 when we got him,” Mr. Finlay told the Newcastle Chronicle last year.
    According to Metro U.K., the Finlay’s former cat, Spice (who died earlier in the 2000s), kept bringing a stray buddy home. They eventually adopted him and were told by their local vet that the friendly tabby was about five years old at the time.
    Aside from treatment for an abscess on his neck when the Finlays first took him in, Nutmeg had lived a healthy and unremarkable life until he suffered a serious seizure and stroke in 2015. Treated by Westway Veterinary Centre in Newcastle at the time, Nutmeg appeared to fully bounce back from the incident.

Westway Veterinary Group
    about a year ago
    Meet Nutmeg, who's still going strong at the ripe old age of 31 - thanks to Westway Vets. The moggy marvel underwent lifesaving treatment after suffering a seizure 12 months ago.
    Blaydon couple Liz and Ian Finlay adopted the former stray 26 years ago when he arrived unexpectedly in their garden.
    But they feared they were about to lose their treasured tabby a year ago, when he was rushed to Westway’s main veterinary hospital on West Road in Newcastle, where he was treated by vet Laura Gillis.
    Now he's back to health, we invited him back with his owners to celebrate his 31st birthday with vet Laura.
    Happy birthday Nutmeg!

141 25

At the time, Mrs. Finlay told the Mirror U.K., “We have loved him and taken care of him … he only has three teeth left but he loves chicken so much he stands at the fridge door when he wants to be fed. He comes and lies on your knee when it is time to go to bed. He is not our cat, we are his humans and he never lets us forget that. Maybe that is the secret to his long and happy life.”

Sadly, Nutmeg’s health took a turn for the worse this summer. He passed away on Aug. 29.
    “We both feel like our hearts have been ripped out. He was our little boy,” Mr. Finlay told Metro. “He went downhill so quickly it was unbelievable. He suffered from a bad tooth and he had rasping breath. We knew that when we went to the vet’s that he wouldn’t be coming home. It was an unspoken solace.”

Westway Veterinary Group
    about a week ago

Westway Vets is sad to announce the passing of Nutmeg, a cat thought to be the world's oldest moggy.
    After an incredibly long life, Nutmeg, who was 32, suffered heart failure after coming to us with breathing difficulties.
    Here he is pictured last year at Westway Vets on his 31st birthday.
    Owned by Liz and Ian Finlay, from Blaydon, he was adopted by the couple in 1990 when Cat Protection said he was aged around five.
    He kept outliving all of his nine lives and underwent lifesaving treatment at Westway Vets in 2015 after suffering a stroke.
    Our kind condolences go to Liz and Ian.

The Finlays, who have no human children, considered Nutmeg to be their son. They say they don’t plan to get another cat, as the heartbreak of losing one again is just too much.
    At the age of 32, Nutmeg was certainly one of the greats. A cat’s average lifespan is 15 years, meaning he surpassed his life expectancy by over 100 percent.

Forget nine lives, Nutmeg lived over 18 lives. R.I.P. to a feline legend.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Wel done, Nutmeg!

Can't type for the tears. I'm going to have to come back to post more when I pull myself together. A legend, that you are, Nutmeg.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

R.I.P at Rainbow Bridge, dear Nutmeg!
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Blog Entries
    Peeps that loved him said it all eh.

RIP Nutmeg.

Sweet angel Nutmeg, you are a legend indeed!

Oh my God.. What an amazing story. And what an amazing cat!

Rest in peace, dearest precious Nutmeg, whole and healthy again at the Rainbow Bridge. What a wonderful long life you lived here! Your dear Purrrents Liz and Ian miss you and grieve you so very much. Please send some Angelic purrrs to their hearts to remind them that love is eternal, you are with them always, and you will welcome them Home, One Fine Day...

We send our great sympathy and our great thanks to your dear Liz and Ian and caregivers at the Westway Veterinary Group for the wonderful home and care and love you and Nutmeg shared and will always share.

Last edited by phesina; 09-24-2017 at 05:45 PM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

What a precious boy you were, Nutmeg. You had a happy and long life with your loving family. I'm so sorry for their loss, and I can undestand no other kitty can replace you.

Thank you so much to your family and caregivers at the Westway Veterinary Group for the wonderful home, love and care they provided. They all miss you, but you will be in their hearts forever.

Rest in peace, dear precious Nutmeg!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.