Thread: Leaving dog outside

Leaving dog outside

OK so my sister has two lab mix dogs that are very hyper and jump all over you, I plan on getting a lab soon. Well she says a dog is a part of the family which I agree.. but she says they need to be inside all the time unless you are outside with them or taking them out to use the bathroom, and I see it differently as in if it is a larger, hyper dog breed they need plenty of time outside I'm not saying keep it out all day but most of the day, and bring in during the night. Just curious if that's to why her dogs may be so hyper because they are stuck inside most of the day?

Quote Originally Posted by Alannagc View Post
    OK so my sister has two lab mix dogs that are very hyper and jump all over you, I plan on getting a lab soon. Well she says a dog is a part of the family which I agree.. but she says they need to be inside all the time unless you are outside with them or taking them out to use the bathroom, and I see it differently as in if it is a larger, hyper dog breed they need plenty of time outside I'm not saying keep it out all day but most of the day, and bring in during the night. Just curious if that's to why her dogs may be so hyper because they are stuck inside most of the day?
    They are hyper because they are Labs, and jump all over you because they have not been trained not to! Dogs need time with you, and training, and if you are not home, inside is better than out for safety. But neither inside or out will keep a Lab mix from being energetic!
    I've Been Frosted

I have had 2 labs so far. They are very hyper, active dogs. I don't believe in leaving my dog outside all day, personally. I let mine out when she wants and she can come in when she wants. I don't like to leave her unsupervised for long times, and certainly not if I'm not home.

When Clover was younger I took her for an off leash run at least once a day for 45-60 mins plus walks on leash. She is a very well behaved dog and is not that hyper anymore. They just need proper exercise (especially the first couple years). Even if you did leave the dog outside they still require this amount of exercise or it's not really fair to the animal. They will likely become destructive to where ever they are kept otherwise. They are wonderful dogs if trained and get enough exercise

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

I agree with the others, no dog should be left outside alone for a prolonged period of time.