Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is it.............

Why is it.............

every time I go into a room and shut the door behind me, and only stay in there for as little as a half-minute, when I open the door, there is a pride of cats ready to run itside the room even though I am leaving? This is a major problem because unless I shut the doors to the outside, they will charge in and then get outside. The only way I can keep them from going inside the room is to squirt water when I come out or carry like a shield a lid to a tub that seems to confuse them because they apparently can't see around it.

........wayne

maybe they're having a kitty conversation that goes something like this....

Hey look, Wayne closed the door.

He must be hiding something really special from us

Hey Wayne - what ever you are hiding, you have to share with us

Hey everyone - get over here now! Wayne is getting us a present. Look pretty - here he comes now.

i don't have advice for you, but mine do the same thing. If I go in a room and close the door, they are on the other side scratching to get in. too funny!! of course, when i open the door to leave, they run in and investigate and find nothing special and walk right back out, but they continue to do this.
    Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.

ttroel, welcome to Pet Talk, I hope you stay around and converse with us. There are so many interesting topics and things to learn from each other. Tell us about your furkid(s).

Catland, the same thought has crossed my mind also. It could be that they are curious to see what they (thought) they have missed. But why so many? Sometimes there are 5 of them all waiting for me to open the door, so they can rush in and look around. The main problem with them doing this is getting them back out again. For some reason they stay in the room, and at times I have to go in there and flush them out, either with a spray bottle, or attempt to get their attention by calling them out. The worst one for this behavior is Cookie. What I worry about is shutting the door and there is one left in the room, without food, litterbox, or heat. It would not be the first time after going to bed hearing a cat crying, and then having to get back up and find where it is coming from -only to find that one got left inside, because they didn't come out when I called, or I didn't see them go inside before shutting the door. It is getting to the point that I have to make a head count (10) to make sure that they are all accounted for before going to bed!

(later) I am trying out entering a room and leaving the door open. It helps to correct their curious behavior.

.......wayne
    Last edited by wayne0214; 12-24-2002 at 04:27 AM.

I have no idea WHY they are like that, but here's the haiku, Lailamara put on the haiku thread:

Wanna go outside.
    Oh, no! Help! I got outside!
    Let me back inside!

It's general cattish behavior.

Would it be possible to try to have a cat toy ready - like a little ball or mouse or something with a bell, then when you open the door to all of them, you throw the toy behind them so that they head in that direction?

oh Wayne , cats are so very curious ... They wanna see , hear , smell , feel all they see !! My little Inka is a real good example of this behaviour !! Silly kitty Inka !!

catland, excellent idea, I'll have to try that.

...........wayne

Originally posted by Barbara
    I have no idea WHY they are like that, but here's the haiku, Lailamara put on the haiku thread:

Wanna go outside.
    Oh, no! Help! I got outside!
    Let me back inside!

It's general cattish behavior.
    Don't we love them for being curious?!

My cat Clyde cannot bear a shut door. He will howl and bang up against the door until someone opens it.
    This is ok during the day, but a touch annoying at 3 am.
    The funny thing is, once he sees what is going on, he has no desire to actually come into the room.

Originally posted by nsweezie
    My cat Clyde cannot bear a shut door. He will howl and bang up against the door until someone opens it.
    This is ok during the day, but a touch annoying at 3 am.
    The funny thing is, once he sees what is going on, he has no desire to actually come into the room.
    SAME here!! And because we live in an apartment and don't want to replace too much carpet and doors...we don't close the inside doors. Our cats don't want to go outside, so we don't have to worry about that door, thank goodness!
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Our three are just the same - when I'm in a room they HAVE to get in!
    When their in the garden, they jump up to the window and scratch the glass in a very determined 'LET ME IN' way!!
    I've simply given up closing doors! Let the sweethearts run the place!!

Lynne
    Time spent with cats is never wasted
    --Collette

RIP Dear Dan xxx

Thanks all, for answering my questions. I suppose all that was being sought was if others furkids do the same, which apparently they do. It is something that we have to live with having a house full of furkids. Last night the same thing happened. After going to bed, I kept hearing a faint meowing. Orignially, I thought it was coming from the outside, but I got back up and opened another bedroom door and out came Fawn. I do not know how many hours he was in there. Possibly three !

......wayne

For us, I have noticed that happening only for the basement door. Our cats rarely try and go outside, and I think the basement is just a new place to explore.

In our living area, the dogs can go into any room except one, the Cats' Room (where cat food, water, litter are).
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

Haha! I would love when they do that! Zephyra, my cat who refuse to let me go! I don't usually shut my room door because love being with pets. But not bathroom! And when I did my business, she is right there by the door and gave me those kind of frown-faces until I pick her up. I guess five of your cats WANT YOU! MISSEOW YOU! Hey, I just realized, have never see the pictures...names...kinds of your cats...tell me please!

......gina