Little Tortie showed up about a year ago, very very skitty and terrified but hungry- she would eat outside cat food but if she even glimpsed us inside the house at a distance, she would bolt. Then one morning, the morning our poor FeLV cat Daisy crashed and was terminal, I went outside to fill food and water bowls and Tortie came right to me and meowed to be picked up- and when I did, she purred. 180 degree change overnight! Poor Daisy did pass on that day, and Tortie moved inside and pretty much replaced Daisy as resident loud tortoiseshell- but Tortie was VERY old........."At least 10", the vet said, but probably a lot older than that. Her kidney values weren't great, but she managed with occasional and then more frequent sub-cu. fluids-- she ate well and enjoyed lots of lap time..... then last month, she started getting skinnier. She needed her fluids more often, the vet couldn't find anything specific but assumed some sort of cancer- she kept going, fluids perked her up to enjoy food and laps for a while, she was happy and comfortable- but finally one morning she collapsed. I took her to the vets but she didn't even last long enough for the Dr to see her- she passed away in my arms.
I'm so sorry I couldn't do more for you, little Tortie- but you DID enjoy your food and laptime with us, for the short time we were blessed by your presence. Thank you for changing your mind about us and accepting our hospitality for the months you did- we will miss you. Rest in peace little girl.

I'd post a picture of her but the recent hacking seems to have messed up the "add photos" part of the photo management part of this site.... I'll add one if I can......